NT, Ghan versus gran
NT, Ghan versus gran
DRW, September 19th, 2008

The damaged vehicle which collided with the Ghan yesterday. Picture: Justin Brierty
THE 1km-long Ghan passenger train was involved in another accident yesterday when it ran into a grandmother's car trying to nip across a level crossing.
Motorist Gwen Rogers, 77, who was driving to hospital for treatment to a bad arm, said she thought the train was moving so slowly that she would have time to get over the track.
"I sort of looked that way," she said.
"But when I looked the other way I heard the train's horn blow."
The accident happened at the Ilparpa Rd crossing in Alice Springs.
The crossing has "give way" signs for drivers.
Alice Springs residents have asked for a boom gate, and lights or bells.
Treasurer Delia Lawrie said in April that the NT Government would commit $2.6 million to upgrade four train crossings south of the Alice Springs - at Larapinta and Bradshaw drives.
The Ghan suffered damage to its front left fender.
Mrs Rogers' car was badly damaged in the collision.
The train was delayed about an hour.
NT, Level crossing smash shock for grandma - Heard the horn, but it was too late
Dan Moss, Centralian Advocate, ASP 19Sep08

Gwen Rogers, 77, collided with the Ghan passenger train at a controversial level crossing in Alice Springs while she was driving to hospital yesterday. Picture: JUSTIN BRIERTY
A GRANDMOTHER collided with the Ghan passenger train at a controversial level crossing in Alice Springs while she was driving to hospital yesterday.
Gwen Rogers, 77, was crossing the tracks at Ilparpa Road south of the town about 2pm when she heard the train's horn blow.
But by then it was too late and train and car collided. Ms Rogers was shocked but not injured in the accident.
She said: ``I sort of looked that way, but when I looked (the other way) I heard the horn blow''.
The Ilparpa Rd crossing has give way signs for drivers.
Gwen's son Alan Rogers said: ``Mum's fine, she's just a bit shaken up''.
Alice Springs Police Superintendent Sean Parnell said: ``We have to wait until we speak to her (Ms Rogers) before we know why she didn't stop.''
Train officials said the Ghan was travelling at 47km/h when the impact occurred.
A spokeswoman from Great Southern Rail said the train's town speed limit is 40km/h.
Country Liberals MLA for Araluen, Jodeen Carney raised the issue of safety at the Ilparpa Rd crossing in Parliament in 2004.
And Justice Minister Chris Burns has been taking complaints over the crossing since mid-2004. Ms Carney said yesterday: ``This has been an issue of concern for years and I've raised it in and out of the Parliament in the past.''
``It shows that the Government needs to pull its finger out and immediately upgrade the crossing to make it safer''.
The level crossing at Ilparpa Rd has warning signs but no boom gate, lights or bells which residents have requested.
Territory Treasurer Delia Lawrie said in April she would commit $2.6 million dollars to upgrade four train crossings south of the Alice Springs stations.
But that commitment only included upgrades to the Larapinta Drive and Bradshaw Drive crossings.
Damage to the train was on the front left fender but the white sedan Ms Rogers was driving was almost unrecognisable. 
The train was delayed about an hour while emergency services attended the scene and a replacement driver could be found.
(23-Sep-2008, 08:14 AM)E-news link Wrote:\"It shows that the Government needs to pull its finger out and immediately upgrade the crossing to make it safer\".
The level crossing at Ilparpa Rd has warning signs but no boom gate, lights or bells which residents have requested.
:kboom I'm fairly certain someone in the journalism industry has created a Microsoft Word macro that inserts this text with a single keystroke. Must be the most commonly used text when reporting on level crossing incidents!

Shouldn't they be saying something like: "motorists need to take more care at level crossings" :bat
Why is it that motorists must be protected at all costs? :mad
Graham R - Dalby Qld
Any opinions expressed here are my own and not those of any group or organisation I am associated with.
Member Southern Downs Steam Railway | ARHS Qld
(23-Sep-2008, 12:35 PM)Graham4405 link Wrote:[quote author=E-news link=topic=3393.msg56490#msg56490 date=1222121641]
\"It shows that the Government needs to pull its finger out and immediately upgrade the crossing to make it safer\".
:kboom I'm fairly certain someone in the journalism industry has created a Microsoft Word macro that inserts this text with a single keystroke. Must be the most commonly used text when reporting on level crossing incidents!

Shouldn't they be saying something like: "motorists need to take more care at level crossings" :bat
Why is it that motorists must be protected at all costs? :mad
[/quote]

Yeah- why don' the loco's, train crew and rollingstock need to be "protected"?
"You have enemies? Good! That means that you have stood up for something you believe in, at some time in your life....."
The ABC report said "She slowed for the train to give way but she actually thought the train was slowing for her so she proceeded to cross the track and unfortunately the train clipped the front of her vehicle.........."

FFS!