Bell Branch
Bell Branch

The line to Bell was approved by the Queensland Parliament in December 1904 and was built to the north east of Dalby, commencing in 1905. It was built using old 41 lb rails recovered from the sections of the North … Continue reading

http://www.stationspast.net/queensland/r...ll-branch/
The book "Centenary of the Bell Rail Line 1906-2006" by Greg Hallam is quite a good read. It has some great photos by Eric Marggraf. I tried to obtain an electronic copy but failed. I have a hard copy.

Also Waterstreet Productions "Out of Dalby" DVD has some interesting history and shots of the Bell Branch.
Graham R - Dalby Qld
Any opinions expressed here are my own and not those of any group or organisation I am associated with.
Member Southern Downs Steam Railway | ARHS Qld
One little correction to photo caption 8 which says "A Block limit Board and overgrown track approaching Kaimkillenbun"

This line never saw DTC, so the sign is a train order sign, it is actually the back of the "Check Train Order" sign visible in the image. I have similar images of the front of the sign.

Regards,
Frank T

(16-Jul-2012, 08:53 PM)WTWSFeed Wrote: Bell Branch

The line to Bell was approved by the Queensland Parliament in December 1904 and was built to the north east of Dalby, commencing in 1905. It was built using old 41 lb rails recovered from the sections of the North … Continue reading

http://www.stationspast.net/queensland/r...ll-branch/

(...this is Control calling, over.)
Thanks Frank - will fix that now.
[Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=61026]

Would anyone here have any information on the Bell Branch. I am mainly looking for Track Diagrams, Measurements and photos of the line. I plan to model the line in a game I have.

-Cheers
(21-May-2013, 07:14 PM)QGR_Fan Wrote: Would anyone here have any information on the Bell Branch. I am mainly looking for Track Diagrams, Measurements and photos of the line. I plan to model the line in a game I have.

-Cheers

There is a fair bit about the Bell branch on this DVD. I highly recommend it.
Graham R - Dalby Qld
Any opinions expressed here are my own and not those of any group or organisation I am associated with.
(21-May-2013, 11:04 PM)Graham4405 Wrote: There is a fair bit about the Bell branch on this DVD. I highly recommend it.

Steve, I still get a laugh out of what you wrote on that DVD's front cover; “may contain scenes offensive to motoring enthusiasts” :lol
Obsolete Australian railway historical downloadable document list
Good Afternoon,

@Graham4405, Thanks for the link, I already have the DVD and have learnt a lot from it, its a really good DVD and doesnt just have the Bell Branch.

The Bell Branch isnt officially closed either. The South Coast Railway Bethania - Southport - Twead heads was closed in the early 1960's and was ripped up. a few decades later, The line was rebuilt down to the Gold Coast. QR learnt from this mistake and has kept owner ship of the Bell Branch incase it is ever needed again. The line hasnt been officially announced closed. This is to perevent people from removing signs and structures from the branch. The line has been disconnected at the Dalby junction but thats all that has been removed. A volunteer group who are based in Bell, wish to bring a tourist service back from Bell - Kaimkillenbun, And the line was maintained by the volunteers until 2005 when financial issues made it to hard to continue this. In 2001 there was also a free run in section cars from bell to Kaimkillenbun. This was the first time after the closer that passangers ran on the line.

-Cheers
(22-May-2013, 05:29 PM)QGR_Fan Wrote: The Bell Branch isnt officially closed either.
QR learnt from this mistake and has kept owner ship of the Bell Branch incase it is ever needed again. The line hasnt been officially announced closed.

The Bell branch was officially closed at the split of Queensland Rail and QR National along with many other lines that had not been officially closed until that time. Rail corridors in Queensland are the property of Queensland Transport, not any railway company. The track owner has a lease over the corridor. I imagine private lines (industrial, cane, Weipa) are different however.
Graham R - Dalby Qld
(22-May-2013, 07:26 PM)Graham4405 Wrote:
(22-May-2013, 05:29 PM)QGR_Fan Wrote: The Bell Branch isnt officially closed either.
QR learnt from this mistake and has kept owner ship of the Bell Branch incase it is ever needed again. The line hasnt been officially announced closed.

The Bell branch was officially closed at the split of Queensland Rail and QR National along with many other lines that had not been officially closed until that time. Rail corridors in Queensland are the property of Queensland Transport, not any railway company. The track owner has a lease over the corridor. I imagine private lines (industrial, cane, Weipa) are different however.

Cane railways mostly run on easements granted by various landholders although some lines are on freehold land owned by mills. They are enshrined under the Sugar Industry Act. That legislation empowers the Land Court to deal with issues regarding non-consent access rights.