Glencore shuts down, miners on forced leave
This doesn't sound good...

More than 8,000 Glencore coal workers will be forced to take annual leave as the mining giant shuts down its Australian coal operations due to an oversupply of the commodity.

Glencore will shut down all of its 20 coal mines across NSW and Queensland from mid-December, cutting production by five million tonnes.

- See more at: http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-stori...leave.html
Graham R - Dalby Qld
Any opinions expressed here are my own and not those of any group or organisation I am associated with.
Member Southern Downs Steam Railway | ARHS Qld
Might finally get some repairs done on some locos while they get a chance. Having no spares and high traffic loads is starting to take its toll..
Out of my mind. Back in 5 minutes.
Been hearing some creaking rumours over the last couple months about a mine doing similar down our way......
Home on the range.....
The five Queensland mines are Collinsville, Oaky Creek, Newlands, Rolleston and Clermont
Out of my mind. Back in 5 minutes.
Personally, I think it's just an opportunity to offload a heap of workers. Downturn now, but oops, we don't need so many people when the upswing starts again, as we need to cut costs and be more "efficient" to remain competitive. :mad
"You have enemies? Good! That means that you have stood up for something you believe in, at some time in your life....."