Disruption
(05-Apr-2010, 07:54 AM)Chicken Fish Wrote: A lot of it comes down to the fines payable too. It's a really complicated system, not straight forward in any way, which means some trains are "worth" more than others. Instead of being say, Cancelled train gets fined $100, late train gets fined $50, each train is weighted according to what the bureaucrats think provide the most benefit to the community. Cancelling a peak hour train from Belgrave is a lot more expensive than cancelling a train from Sydenham. Some trains don't incur a fine at all if they are cancelled.
A good way to tell the worth of a train is how much Metrol want to keep a run happening compared with others.

G'day Chicken Fish,
Does Metro get fined for other things as well such as safety breaches and the like?

Cheers,
Ben
I'm not too sure how the fine structure works, and frankly, as long as it doesn't come out of my pocket, I really don't care.

WorkSafe currently has some kind of order out against Metro, something to do with them not ticking all the right boxes regarding the asbestos in the place. I could read it more if it is that much of an interest to you, then give you the digest version.
"How long will the next train be? Six cars would be my guess."
(09-Nov-2010, 05:02 PM)Chicken Fish Wrote: I'm not too sure how the fine structure works, and frankly, as long as it doesn't come out of my pocket, I really don't care.

WorkSafe currently has some kind of order out against Metro, something to do with them not ticking all the right boxes regarding the asbestos in the place. I could read it more if it is that much of an interest to you, then give you the digest version.

Hi Chicken Fish,
Thanks for that. I recall some Hitachi cars having asbestos in them a few years ago.

Cheers,
Ben
Was that Hitachi or Harris?

On the topic of Hitachis, it seems that they were running in the heat today. That seemed also to be more than could be said of the Comeng trains. I remarked on Railpage that this week's weather would cause disruptions and that these would be inopportune for Labor. It seems that Fang was taken out of service.

There are also rumours that the new Xtraps have underperforming air-conditioning.