NSW: Shock-waves looming for grain transport
(17-Dec-2007, 10:51 PM)Nevyn link Wrote:The question is, should the State Governments pay a subsidy to an operator (large of small) to run grain trains or should they just close the lines down and spend the money on roads.

I think they should. We pay taxes for services and this is a service. Sure I don't make use of grain trains myself (I only grow sugarcane in my garden) but am happy for my taxes to be used in that way to prevent the replacement hundreds of trucks.
  Once when the government used to have all the railways they could have used the ever growing profits from a growing coal industry.
They don't have that now, but thats their own fault. They should be subsidizing that which is a 'community service'.

Brad
&quot;I think people should be free to engage in any sexual practices they choose; they should draw the line at goats though.&quot; <br />Elton John
All the filthy Aussie Rail info at http://locoshed.blogspot.com
Check out the Philippine Railway Historical Society. http://philippine-railways.blogspot.com
(18-Dec-2007, 02:55 PM)PNR5004 link Wrote:[quote author=Nevyn link=topic=1764.msg26512#msg26512 date=1197895886]
The question is, should the State Governments pay a subsidy to an operator (large of small) to run grain trains or should they just close the lines down and spend the money on roads.

I think they should. We pay taxes for services and this is a service. Sure I don't make use of grain trains myself (I only grow sugarcane in my garden) but am happy for my taxes to be used in that way to prevent the replacement hundreds of trucks.
  Once when the government used to have all the railways they could have used the ever growing profits from a growing coal industry.
They don't have that now, but thats their own fault. They should be subsidizing that which is a 'community service'.

Brad
[/quote]
Absolutely...
Graham R - Dalby Qld
Any opinions expressed here are my own and not those of any group or organisation I am associated with.
Member Southern Downs Steam Railway | ARHS Qld
The other part of this story that I haven't seen yet is the sale of Patrick PortLink amongst the sale of the Grain division....

A few anxious months ahead.
Maybe these lines need to switch to a 2ft/sugar cane type model?  Well in this case it would have to be some sort of grain co-op or whatever but they could own the lines/locos and rail it all to one point... ?
Hmm, if it works for cane, it can work for grain...
Graham R - Dalby Qld
Any opinions expressed here are my own and not those of any group or organisation I am associated with.
Member Southern Downs Steam Railway | ARHS Qld
But would it reduce the cost of operating itr though, given that there would have to be cap ex to modify the line, rollingstock etc, that wpuld also have to be shown to be recouped as well?

Good theory though, I must admit.....
"You have enemies? Good! That means that you have stood up for something you believe in, at some time in your life....."