Ariah Park incident
http://www.otsi.nsw.gov.au/rail/IR-AriahPark-final.pdf
Oh What a Gasser! Rex Mossop.
A sad turn of events
&quot;With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.<br />The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged.&quot;<br /><br /><br />http://au.youtube.com/user/spacemarine88
dateline= Wrote:[cite] The Doctor:[/cite]A sad turn of events

From reading this report LVR are in quite a bit of shit. It is interesting that some of the recommendations are in fact common sense when working with moving rolling stock. Now here is a question would this incident have occured if the lead carriage had buffers.
since he was crushed by the buffer beam not the buffers i would say...no the loco and carriage buffers would have hit and the guard would have walked away probally a bit rattled.
&quot;With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.<br />The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged.&quot;<br /><br /><br />http://au.youtube.com/user/spacemarine88
dateline= Wrote:[cite] The Doctor:[/cite]since he was crushed by the buffer beam not the buffers i would say...no the loco and carriage buffers would have hit and the guard would have walked away probally a bit rattled.

I like the comment about heritage rolling stock. Remember that buffered rolling stock in country use was common until 1988/89 in NSW
dateline= Wrote:[cite] gregrudd:[/cite]
Quote:[cite] The Doctor:[/cite]A sad turn of events

From reading this report LVR are in quite a bit of shit. It is interesting that some of the recommendations are in fact common sense when working with moving rolling stock. Now here is a question would this incident have occured if the lead carriage had buffers.

Thanks for sharing the link to the report. Very interesting reading.

I'm inclined to agree that the accident might not have occurred if the leading car had retained its buffers.

However, the investigation did reveal several other irregularities. LVR definitely have quite a bit of work to do to retain their accreditation.

If we take a step back to earlier in the day, the original consist of the train included a water gin which would have prevented the tender attaching directly to that car. Obviously, the person or persons who decided to omit the gin from the consist did not consider or understand the implications of that decision.

The operation of heritage and tourist railways contain risks similar to the commercial operations. Their members must be reminded of that. In my opinion, the moral of the story is that all rail operators must ensure that their workers are competently trained in the duties they are to undertake and such training must include identification of the risks associated with the particular tasks.
Another important point made is the training and competency issues. It certainly made me think about our own systems and how they would stack were my organisation to be subject to a similar investigation. I urge all CKS staff that are members here to read the report - we will discuss the implications over a few be at the next safety meeting.
[Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=61026]

The report is definatly worth a read.
All

Pleae read carefully all that is in the report.

Particuall regarding Fatuige.
Greg
A interesting read indeed. Feel sorry for the bloke involved and his family.
&quot;It shocks me that Huggies has had a good idea for once in his dim-witted life!&quot; - Jason Roberts, A.T.D.B.