PTC Blue & White Suburban carriages
Hey all, just a quick question, Im currenly  painting up a single deck motor car and double deck tulloch trailer car in the PTC Blue and White  livery. I was  just wondering when freshly  painted were the roofs silver  or a dull grey. All the  imgages I have seen are a dull grotty grey.

And information would  be greatfully appreciated

Cheers

nate
NFI!  Big Grin

Took a lot of piccies and photos of them in their final days but they all had the grotty roof.
  Perhaps that new book by Stephen Halgren and John Backarse may help. Otherwise you could contact John and he would likely be able to tell you if it isn't to irritating a question for him.

Spadge

&quot;I think people should be free to engage in any sexual practices they choose; they should draw the line at goats though.&quot; <br />Elton John
All the filthy Aussie Rail info at http://locoshed.blogspot.com
Check out the Philippine Railway Historical Society. http://philippine-railways.blogspot.com
(28-Jan-2008, 07:32 PM)signaller1 Wrote: Hey all, just a quick question, Im currenly  painting up a single deck motor car and double deck tulloch trailer car in the PTC Blue and White  livery. I was  just wondering when freshly  painted were the roofs silver  or a dull grey. All the  imgages I have seen are a dull grotty grey.

And information would  be greatfully appreciated

Cheers

nate

G'day. I'm currently decaling a 4 car single deck PTC set in N scale. Since trying to create interest in modelling Sydney's electric sets since the 1980s, only relatively recently have models become available. Over many years, I've researched the subject of the PTC blue and white era livery as carried by the Sydney suburbans.

The earliest blue and white liveries from late 1972 carried a WHITE roof and the PTC "nsw SYDNEY TRANSPORT" logo. Later repaints, possibly coinciding with the introduction of the Mark II PTC livery (white band at the bottom of the car sides and ends and which was ONLY applied to the Tulloch double deck trailer cars) carried a SILVER roof. Over time, the silver weathered in traffic, particularly by the residue of pantograph wear from contact with the overhead wire.

Further, another correspondent to this forum asked previously about the blue and white paints that were applied to the suburbans. Advice I received from a late modelling expert named the colours used as being 'Riviera Blue and Mandarin White'. To further muddle the issue, a former PTC/SRA employee who confirmed the paint names and actually painted the cars at Flemington Depot said that although the paints had to conform to the ASA standards specified in the contract, he said that in fact, several different blues, all purporting to meet the 'Riviera Blue' specification were used. From recollection, the later repaints were generally a darker blue than the initial repaints. One of the "Under the WIRES" series of books on the NSW electric traction scene, in particular the edition covering the Sydney suburban sets illustrates this point clearly.

The schemes continued to be applied between late 1972 and 1976. With a change of Government (Liberal to Labor), all repaints from very early 1977 were in Deep Indian Red with the Mark I (locomotive style) white 'L7'.

I trust these details may be of assistance.