The MVHR News
(22-Oct-2012, 08:39 AM)Rolls Royce Wrote: I dont know what "Aurizon's" policies are, but PN were cooperative with staff who wished to participate in heritage activities in their time off. Like most things, most employers are usually fine wit it all so long as the employee discusses with them first. If however, there was to be an incident at work that they were involved in, and they had previously been within the last 48hrs (or thereabouts) "working" for a heritage railway in what could be considered to be a "safety critical" capacity and the employer wasnt aware of it, then there would obviously be issues.

All in all, comes back to a bit of decent communication and prior approval, and there is no issue.

Some steam train drivers are rostered, providing pilot duties out on the network.
:beer2 Confusedmitten
(22-Oct-2012, 08:39 AM)Rolls Royce Wrote: I dont know what "Aurizon's" policies are, but PN were cooperative with staff who wished to participate in heritage activities in their time off. Like most things, most employers are usually fine wit it all so long as the employee discusses with them first. If however, there was to be an incident at work that they were involved in, and they had previously been within the last 48hrs (or thereabouts) "working" for a heritage railway in what could be considered to be a "safety critical" capacity and the employer wasnt aware of it, then there would obviously be issues.

All in all, comes back to a bit of decent communication and prior approval, and there is no issue.

If youre a desk jockey who isnt subject to fatigue scores, then hey, knock yourself out Big Grin

If I lived closer to the South East, I would probably be involved not only with MVHR, but also Southern Downs, and maybe even Swanbank and others. But sadly, as I have not as yet attained the winning combination for a major lottery, I have to keep on working and therefore cant....yet Tongue

Thanks Roller for the added material on this matter!!

Obsolete Australian railway historical downloadable document list
In the context of the Mary Valley Rattler, I made mention of checking their annual accounts to see how much was spent/incurred on legal fees in and about their case before the Information Commissioner.

Money spent of fat cat lawyers, as far as I am concerned, is money down the drain.

I notice in Dorrigo's annual accounts:

"Lowanna Settlement Agreement with GWR and Legal Costs-
year 2010/2011 $21,165.00
year 2011/2012 $ 1,868.00

(not quite sure whether that represents the whole bill incurred- seems a bit cheap)

someone did say - give your opinion of ...- don't think they were being serious. couldn't find any Dorrigo thread here; probably down with John Brown's body (ditto the "other site" where they made a movie "Softly Softly" around the forbidden word)

so anyway- same principle- there will always be someone (or plural) in any organisation, gets on the board, wants to have a bun fight, ends up spending member's money on useless leeches. you've all been on committees (I suppose), kindergarten, P & C (you do have kids don't you) or just SES or similar.
(24-Oct-2012, 03:52 PM)Westwind Wrote: In the context of the Mary Valley Rattler, I made mention of checking their annual accounts

Shall I worry about this Westwind person's opinion or enjoy myself cooking another damper http://www.wheelsonsteel.com.au/showthre...5#pid97075

Damper wins Confusedmitten

Cheers
Peter

I made this post in the "Gold Pass Lounge" of this forum.

They are disposing several carriages in varying conditions and one of the cannibalised 1620's.

http://www.atrq.net/?p=402
Paul<br /><br /> My WOS Gallery<br /><br /> My Youtube Video Page
Brian Evans, the owner of the "other site", wants to donate to the Mary Valley Relief Fund. Would someone who has access to that site let him know how to do it (my IP address is the one they banned by the way- and caught some other person out named Monday or was that Tuesday). Probably lives in my area as IP addresses are nonspecific.

Which brings me to the topic of people who throw money over the fence - said to happen in central NSW quite regularly. I often wonder- those that are doing it, fair enough. It's your money, but wouldn't it be better spent broadening your education and taking a trip to Europe. Ride all the first class tourist trains there ranging from the Austrian ngs to Harzer to Welsh Highland etc etc etc. They might come back with an entirely different perspective.

Notice- Frank Lightfoot has broken cover. This has appeared:

"Weekly Observer- We were warned

Two or three years ago the Weekly Observer warned the community about the Mary Valley Rattler’s financial problems. At the time the Observer quoted from a government funded report to say the Rattler could not pay its own way and was relying on Government grants to stay afloat.
This year the grants have not been sufficient to cover the losses triggered by two recent derailments.
Staff have now been given termination notices.
If action to restructure the Rattler had begun three years ago when the alarm bells were ringing, we would not now have the scenario of it needing over a million dollars to repair the track.

Frank Lightfoot
Gympie"
(25-Oct-2012, 01:02 PM)Westwind Wrote: Brian Evans, the owner of the "other site", .......(my IP address is the one they banned by the way- and caught some other person out named Monday or was that Tuesday). Probably lives in my area as IP addresses are nonspecific.

FACT.... TheFeralLine, which is Westwind's Railpage username, is still not banned at Railpage despite 'Westwind' claiming otherwise.
(25-Oct-2012, 01:02 PM)Westwind Wrote: Brian Evans, the owner of the "other site", wants to donate to the Mary Valley Relief Fund. Would someone who has access to that site let him know how to do it (my IP address is the one they banned by the way- and caught some other person out named Monday or was that Tuesday). Probably lives in my area as IP addresses are nonspecific.

If your IP was banned you wouldn't be able to read anything on Railpage Australia and thus wouldn't know these things. And TheFeralLine is not banned.

Brian didn't say he wanted to donate, don't twist his words. I have kindly posted a link to the MVHR website where the details are now available.

Many people who decide to donate will want to remain anonymous.
Graham R - Dalby Qld
Any opinions expressed here are my own and not those of any group or organisation I am associated with.
Member Southern Downs Steam Railway | ARHS Qld
Finally located a photo of the derailed loco.

I see a "9" on the front board. Other two numerals obscured. "967" do you think? Doesn't look to be an "8" (802). And where did they get 967 from I ask? It's Halloween next Wednesday, when the ghosts of the past come to haunt you. So you don't believe in voodoo. You don't believe in jinxed locos. Old time drivers always did. Certain steamers were regarded as cursed. Visit your ancestral past next Wednesday.

PS One of my grandfathers drove the first electric across Sydney Harbour Bridge straight after they carted De Groot off. Straight after Game and Lang did their thing, and hopped on board.
(26-Oct-2012, 09:09 AM)Westwind Wrote: Finally located a photo of the derailed loco.

I see a "9" on the front board. Other two numerals obscured. "967" do you think? Doesn't look to be an "8" (802). And where did they get 967 from I ask? It's Halloween next Wednesday, when the ghosts of the past come to haunt you. So you don't believe in voodoo. You don't believe in jinxed locos. Old time drivers always did. Certain steamers were regarded as cursed. Visit your ancestral past next Wednesday.

PS One of my grandfathers drove the first electric across Sydney Harbour Bridge straight after they carted De Groot off. Straight after Game and Lang did their thing, and hopped on board.
It is shame that this forum has degenerated to the point where such crap is allowed to be published.