The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.3.31-1~deb10u1 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Cronulla duplication
As some of you would be aware, CityRail's Cronulla branch is in the process of having parts of it duplicated, namely the single track sections between Sutherland & Gymea and Caringbah & Cronulla.

Working the line regularly, it appears that there will also be some extra sidings installed at the terminus, Cronulla, adding to the extant storage siding (approx. 3 x 8 car sets) & the goods siding (1 x 8 car set).

Unfortunately, my photographic opportunities are a bit limited while working (can't always get a good angle from the middle of the train, plus having to do boring things like make announcements and open & close doors). However, I did take some while travelling in the driver's cab on an Up service in February last year.

In this pic, we have just departed Woolooware station.

[Image: IMG_0323.jpg]

Around the bend from Woolooware, is this straight section towards Caringbah, where the current dual track section commences.

[Image: IMG_0324.jpg]

This is at Gymea, where the current dual track section finishes. We are awating the arrival of the Down train seen in the distance before we can depart for Kirrawee.

[Image: IMG_0325.jpg]

This is on the approach to Kirrawee.

[Image: IMG_0326.jpg]

We've left Kirrawee and are now heading toward Sutherland. This bridge carries Acacia Rd (the Sutherland bypass) over the branch. Behind us is another overbridge (President Ave) which will also have to be modified for the new (Down) track.

[Image: IMG_0327.jpg]

Almost arrived at Sutherland. From here, we cross over the Down Illawarra Main to the Up Main, to arrive on Sutherland pl. #1. The cream fibro building in the distance is Sutherland Signal Box.

[Image: IMG_0328.jpg]

Bear in mind that the construction work has gone ahead in leaps & bounds since these photos.

This is Cronulla, taken from the south end of the northern portion of the platform, taken in September 2005. The stand of vegetation flanking the goods siding has now gone, due to construction of what maybe an additional siding.

[Image: Image023.jpg]

This is inside Cronulla "Signal Box", which, like Waterfall, forms part of the control room at the station. Taken in September 2005.

[Image: Image021.jpg]

This was taken in January this year, from my train which was in the Sutherland goods siding at the time, showing some of the construction paraphernalia at the Sutherland end. The line in the background is the branchline. Work is now underway on the abutments for the extra bridge over the Old Princes Hwy (out of shot to the left).

[Image: DSCF0074.jpg]

I'll try to update this with some more contemporary shots soon.
Stand clear, doors slicing

Messages In This Thread
Cronulla duplication - by EYL - 06-Apr-2008, 12:14 PM