Victorian Sightings
So there are still some silvers back in service - werent they taken out a while ago due to some business about rust or floors or some such like?
"You have enemies? Good! That means that you have stood up for something you believe in, at some time in your life....."
(21-Nov-2008, 02:45 PM)Rolls Royce link Wrote:So there are still some silvers back in service - werent they taken out a while ago due to some business about rust or floors or some such like?

Yep, taken out of service to have the rust removed. The ones that have had the repairs done are back in service.
The rust problem was found on some units between the wooden floor, and the steel sub frame. Water was running down the inside of the door frames due to bad sealing who knows when, and was getting into the sub frame that way. Once it was discovered on one unit, the rest were taken out of service to see if they had the same problem.

There is currently six Silvers available for service, out of seven units.

Connex currently lease six units, which are permanently run as six car units. They are resticted to peak hour service only, although last year for Oaks day, they were allowed to remain in service all day, due to a lack of trains.
The seventh unit is a train that has partially been purchased by the government, and partly leased. They purchased a three car unit from some guy in NSW, who bought a heap of the trains when they were rushed out of service. He made a massive profit on the sale too. The other three cars have been leased from SteamRail, and I understand the lease agreement says the train has to be refurbished to SteamRail's requirements, before being returned to them.
Having this seventh unit allows the government to refurbish the other six units, which includes internal trip arm, air conditioning for the drivers, fixing of door and window seals, improved passenger seating, and a general clean up of the units. When one does come back from being refurbished, it really does look smart, until the ferals etch all the new tinted windows.
As a train to drive, the Silvers are great, but for the pax, they really do need to be out of service. They were all meant to be taken out of service after the Commonwealth Games in 2006, but I think now they have a new lease of life until 2013. Even though there is another 18 X'crap units due next year, I don't think they will be making the same mistake of getting rid of the Silvers as soon as a new train is being unloaded off the boat, as they did last time. But who knows, we are dealing with bean counters here.
"How long will the next train be? Six cars would be my guess."
(22-Nov-2008, 09:01 AM)Trampanto link Wrote:The rust problem was found on some units between the wooden floor, and the steel sub frame. Water was running down the inside of the door frames due to bad sealing who knows when, and was getting into the sub frame that way. Once it was discovered on one unit, the rest were taken out of service to see if they had the same problem.

There is currently six Silvers available for service, out of seven units.

Connex currently lease six units, which are permanently run as six car units. They are resticted to peak hour service only, although last year for Oaks day, they were allowed to remain in service all day, due to a lack of trains.
The seventh unit is a train that has partially been purchased by the government, and partly leased. They purchased a three car unit from some guy in NSW, who bought a heap of the trains when they were rushed out of service. He made a massive profit on the sale too. The other three cars have been leased from SteamRail, and I understand the lease agreement says the train has to be refurbished to SteamRail's requirements, before being returned to them.
Having this seventh unit allows the government to refurbish the other six units, which includes internal trip arm, air conditioning for the drivers, fixing of door and window seals, improved passenger seating, and a general clean up of the units. When one does come back from being refurbished, it really does look smart, until the ferals etch all the new tinted windows.
As a train to drive, the Silvers are great, but for the pax, they really do need to be out of service. They were all meant to be taken out of service after the Commonwealth Games in 2006, but I think now they have a new lease of life until 2013. Even though there is another 18 X'crap units due next year, I don't think they will be making the same mistake of getting rid of the Silvers as soon as a new train is being unloaded off the boat, as they did last time. But who knows, we are dealing with bean counters here.
Asking a stupid question (as I always try to). But is it possible there are other sets around that could be leased and returned to service? Or are the rest too far gone / sold separately / destroyed?

Cheers
There are heaps of sets that could be put into service, but the union have a ban on more than six running. Basically if management really were interested in running a train system, we wouldn't have any. But they are nothing more than a political bargaining tool now.
Do they do anything other than the odd peak hour trip now? I haven't been on one since February.

What's your view on the union TP? I have read before that the union really controls the train system's runnings more than Connex or the Government do.
The Silvers are only permitted to run in peak hour service. From memory it is classed as from first train in the morning, until 1000. Then in the afternoon, from either 1400, or 1300, until 1900 or 2000. They are restricted to lines where they can terminate with out an adjacent running line, because of the outside trip arm.

As for my views of the union, I would rather not publish them publicly, but it is well known that their views on many matter and day to day operations, and not a view that is shared with myself.

Tomorrow I resume duties, so I will be able to start giving more sighting then.
X'Trapolis unit 945M and friends was noted losing High Voltage Presence in the CIty Loop this afternoon. The pantograph was dropping without being instructed to. We sat for 5 minutes at Melbourne Central rebooting the train.
In addition, Comeng 500M has migrated to warmer pastures, and can no longer be found at Newport Workshops outside North Williamstown station. I was disappointed to find this.
(23-Nov-2008, 09:26 PM)Bravus link Wrote:In addition, Comeng 500M has migrated to warmer pastures, and can no longer be found at Newport Workshops outside North Williamstown station. I was disappointed to find this.

I am guessing it may be found at Sims Metal now, at least for the next few days. With 500 gone, that will mean the court case no longer has a use for the train. I hope the little bugger who lit the train up gets the same.