Maitland Mercury: 150th of Maitland rail services is 2008??
Try that again, (damn internet [insert swearword under mumbling] connection!) :'(

Todays Maitland Mercury claims that 2008 is the 150th year of Maitland rail services. The 150th of the then Great Northern Railway was last year, so how far did it extend in 1857?

Part of the article in the Maitland Mercuru titled City's rail service celebrates 150 years. states: “Construction of a rail system for Maitland 150 years ago was the key to the city becoming one of the state's regional centres”, etc, etc, etc.

But the NSWrail history site says Maitland station was opened in 1880 (as West Maitland). The only station I can find that opened in 1858 close to Maitland station is the second locatoion of East Maitland.

On a side note to the article, it goes on to say steam still played a part on the SMR operation's until the line's closure in 1983.
The SMR line closed in 1983?? Confusedhock:
(18-Apr-2008, 06:59 PM)Newcastle Flyer link Wrote:Try that again, (damn internet [insert swearword under mumbling] connection!) :'(

Todays Maitland Mercury claims that 2008 is the 150th year of Maitland rail services. The 150th of the then Great Northern Railway was last year, so how far did it extend in 1857?

Part of the article in the Maitland Mercuru titled City's rail service celebrates 150 years. states: “Construction of a rail system for Maitland 150 years ago was the key to the city becoming one of the state's regional centres”, etc, etc, etc.

But the NSWrail history site says Maitland station was opened in 1880 (as West Maitland). The only station I can find that opened in 1858 close to Maitland station is the second locatoion of East Maitland.

On a side note to the article, it goes on to say steam still played a part on the SMR operation's until the line's closure in 1983.
The SMR line closed in 1983?? Confusedhock:

In 1857 the line ended at what is now Victoria Street - hence why the 150th Train last year stopped there.

SMR is still alive and well (see the 'History In The Making' thread), steam finished there in 1983.
"I'm a great admirer of the racehorse. And I thought if you could put 2000 racehorses together, it'd make a very good locomotive! And it did." - Harold Young, on 3801, August 1970.
First, I know that SMR is still alive, but once again the media claimed that. But I think they meant or should have said "When SMR steam ceased in 1983" or words to that effect, not that it closed.

I contacted Dieselfest (Um ur Steamfest) & they claim that Maitland station opened 150 years ago, yet Maitland Station opened in 1880 according to both the PTC History book & NSWrail net, unless they are refering to East Maitland Station, but they did mention 150th of Maitland Station.

On information Peter Garnham (of Steamfest) seems to think that his informaiton is always correct, as two years ago, he goes on the right wing radio talkback show (Graeme Gilbert's talkback), claiming that the 38's were built in 1938. I went on to attempt to correct him, to say no they were built/delivered in the mid 1940's and the host said "We'll stick with Peter's information as he is right"