[Courier Mail] $14b subway system for Brisbane announced by Anna Bligh
(07-Oct-2008, 12:44 PM)Graham4405 link Wrote:I wonder if they ever stop to think that by building infrastructure in other parts of the state they might ease the overcrowding in the Capital?

The biggest issue with the overcrowding is the fact that most companies want to be based close to the CBD and don't want to promote things such as working at home.
"It shocks me that Huggies has had a good idea for once in his dim-witted life!" - Jason Roberts, A.T.D.B.
(08-Oct-2008, 09:33 AM)Huggies link Wrote:[quote author=Graham4405 link=topic=3451.msg57483#msg57483 date=1223347478]I wonder if they ever stop to think that by building infrastructure in other parts of the state they might ease the overcrowding in the Capital?

The biggest issue with the overcrowding is the fact that most companies want to be based close to the CBD and don't want to promote things such as working at home.
[/quote]
Other cities in the state have CBDs for them to get close to! That thinking is old hat, and led to wharves along the Brisbane River in the CBD etc which have long been removed. We have a big country, room for everyone, why cram into big cities?
Graham R - Dalby Qld
Any opinions expressed here are my own and not those of any group or organisation I am associated with.
Member Southern Downs Steam Railway | ARHS Qld
There are some business centres on the southside and northside in Queensland too.  Chermside is developing quickly and Mt Gravatt is already developeding.  Urban sprawl is taking over Brisbane.
Funny that they call it a "subway system" - it's just new tracks for them to route Citytrains through, not a subway/metro like overseas.

Perhaps QR Citytrain should work on running more than one train every 30 minutes for a start before getting mega-tunnels. 3-car sets every 10 mins would be a much better compromise for some lines. Better get rid of those bloody useless guards on electric sets.
I'd say Bligh is really starting to try and roll out all the crowd pleasing "vote winner" crap now...

I think the other suggestions above are far more worthy, APLUS, Id like to see double decked rollingstock to increase capacity without having to extend every platform in the network. Surely it can be done?
"You have enemies? Good! That means that you have stood up for something you believe in, at some time in your life....."
I doubt they will go for double deckers. After all, if they follow Melbourne's lead, where you can't have double deckers because they will fall over, imagine doing that on a narrower gauge of track. Just don't tell the pencil shovers in Melbourne that they run deckers in Sydney on the gauge.

But back to Brisbane. Is there enough room in the overhead and gauge loadings to allow for double decker operation? I really need to get up there and see the kind of loadings that happen in Brissy now, last time I rode trains there I was catching SX cars to work. Mmmmm, nice, SX, [insert Homer moment].
"How long will the next train be? Six cars would be my guess."
[quote][Is there enough room in the overhead and gauge loadings to allow for double decker operation? /quote]No, they will not fit through the tunnels, They had trouble when they brought in the new 160 EMU(?) because of the air conditioners sticking up too high, they could go through just not enough margin for error/movements. Sad
[Image: bike-1.gif]
Double deck trains are just a dodgy temporary solution to capacity issues - and QR's loading gauge is too small for them anyway.

You only need to look at larger and/or longer trains when you have 6-car sets running every five minutes and they're still full. Seeing as most Citytrain services only run every 30 minutes most of the time, you have a long way to go Smile
I look favourably upon the idea of pushing a lot of companies outside the CBD to assist in this problem and it seems to be a trend catching on.

Rents in the CBD are going up, and a lot of medium sized companies are shifting out to office parks in the burbs.

You have companies like Powerlink with their massive HQ at Northgate, Virgin Blue and Qantaslink with their offices at Bowen Hills, Austar at Robina, future companies are moving to Springfield once the public transport infrastructure is in place.
Dean Stalker :: Owner :: QRIG.org
(05-Nov-2008, 04:36 AM)Rolls Royce link Wrote:Id like to see double decked rollingstock to increase capacity without having to extend every platform in the network. Surely it can be done?

South African Railways used wooden double-decker carriages on suburbans at one stage! So it is possible.
[Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=68009]
[Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=68007]