[Courier Mail] $14b subway system for Brisbane announced by Anna Bligh
(05-Nov-2008, 02:23 PM)qrig link Wrote:I look favourably upon the idea of pushing a lot of companies outside the CBD to assist in this problem and it seems to be a trend catching on.
I was just talking to Johmmc along these lines at lunch time. Australia is a big country, if people were to spread out more there would be no traffic jams and crowded trains in the cities. Push the infrastructure outwards from the cities, not just to the suburbs but to urban areas.
Graham R - Dalby Qld
Any opinions expressed here are my own and not those of any group or organisation I am associated with.
Member Southern Downs Steam Railway | ARHS Qld
Then you have the problem of urban sprawl. The further out we go, the more services needed, and the more costs. The bean counters don't want that. But it really is needed.
"How long will the next train be? Six cars would be my guess."
What should really happen is the development of proper regional centres with their own employment industries, not commuter dormitories for the capital city which are just glorified urban sprawl.
(05-Nov-2008, 12:49 AM)Somebody link Wrote:Funny that they call it a \"subway system\" - it's just new tracks for them to route Citytrains through, not a subway/metro like overseas.

Perhaps QR Citytrain should work on running more than one train every 30 minutes for a start before getting mega-tunnels. 3-car sets every 10 mins would be a much better compromise for some lines. Better get rid of those bloody useless guards on electric sets.
I was going to say exactly the same thing. This is not a subway. It is 3 underground stations, to complement the existing, along a different route. Tis a good idea nonetheless.

As for the 10 minute option. I hate to split hairs, but I believe a 15 minute frequency mid line starting (IE Kuraby, Manly ETC) would be a better option.... Send that one through the 'magical subway', then the original, terminus to terminus, through Roma Street - Central.

Cheers
What you really need is to start getting non-captive users is at least a train every 10-15 minutes. If it's operationally possible to run a 15 minute service to Beenleigh then why would you end half at Kuraby? But of course, if you had could only run 15 halfway, it's better than nothing. In the case of the Cleveland line, you would only be operationally able to do 15 to Manly.

If we are to ignore operational constraints, the only places where IMO 4tph could not be warranted would be maybe beyond Caboolture, beyond Ipswich, the Doomben Line (that line is a waste of inner city paths), and the Tennyson Line (doesn't need passenger services).
(06-Nov-2008, 09:07 PM)Somebody link Wrote:What you really need is to start getting non-captive users is at least a train every 10-15 minutes. If it's operationally possible to run a 15 minute service to Beenleigh then why would you end half at Kuraby? But of course, if you had could only run 15 halfway, it's better than nothing. In the case of the Cleveland line, you would only be operationally able to do 15 to Manly.
Would you realy want to do more than half of the line? Cleveland line there is definitely no need beyond Manly. Corrent infrastructure would not allow such a high frequency anyway. As for heavier lines (Caboolture, Ipswich and Beenleigh), yeah, there could well be a need.