I`m curious.
Back in the 60`s I lived in Melbourne,worked as an airline pilot and was no less interested in railways than I am now.
  I found a way to infiltrate the premises of Newport Workshops and spent many fascinating hours wandering around,looking as though I worked there and never was caught!!    One day ,in one of the big erecting halls I discovered a large model of a C class steam loco--3 or 4 feet high & 12-15 feet long.Made from wood with provision for a small person to be inside operating a mechanism which caused the wheels/rods etc to rotate.    I think it was C1,it was fairly old but nice.It was a very good model.
I have a photo of what I think is it being hauled through the middle of Ballarat on a big horse drawn waggon in a procession.
  Can anyone shed any light on this fascinating mystery? 
Never heard of it before, sorry.
The VR (and MMTB for that matter) took great pride in building large scale models, I believe many of them were built by apprentices. I'll ask around and see if I can find out any more about it for you.
"How long will the next train be? Six cars would be my guess."
There use to be a big B class (or was it an S) at the old Spencer Street station near where the baggage area was.

I vaguely recall there being big locos displayed at the VR shop at the Melb Show each year (that would have been the late 60's early 70's). I think they had some big scaled steam locos as well.
You won't get me I'm part of the Union, you won't get me I'm part of the Union, till the day I die, till the day I die.<br /><br />The Strawbs. 1973 Bursting at the Seams:<br />Part of the Union.
That was a B Class. As a kid I was mesmerised by that model.
[Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=61026]

Think it was displayed in Ballarat for yonks; I remember it as a kid as well in the main hall at Ballarat station?
You can shove your Melbourne
And you can shove your Vic
'Cos I've got a lager
That'll make you sick
I just remembered something. Down at the Newport Workshops they have a model there too. It is encased in glass, but sitting in the middle of effective nowhere. You can see it from the Railway Museum, but not up close. Next time I am in uniform and have camera, I will have to go there and get a photo or two I think.
&quot;How long will the next train be? Six cars would be my guess.&quot;
Thanks T.Any idea of what clas of steam/diesel loco it is?
class!!!!!!
I think it is a Bulldog of some description.
&quot;How long will the next train be? Six cars would be my guess.&quot;
That one's a B class. Looks quite nice, but it's not near much. Near where that Tangara used to be stored.

Is possible to get a shot through the fence from within the Rusty Trains Museum (ARHS Museum).