Graceville Station
Who knows what good if any that this will do, but this has been one of those "one day" jobs I've been "meaning to get around to" for a long time, and today I am pleased to report that I have completed it, as far as I can take it for the moment.

Graceville station, in my opinion, is to me, the last remaining fairly well unadulterated 1950's Electrification Scheme stations left standing. The plain brick veneer, the Terrazzo flooring, the ironwork on the handrails, the station nameboard lettering, and butterfly roof design are all a throw back to that era.

For the older members, you may also recall that Toowong and Indooroopilly were also both of this design, and both have been demolished, with Indooroopilly only going fairly recently.

There were many styles of building built in this era, including the "overhead" style ones such as Corinda, Taringa and Toombul as an example.

Oxford Park, Sherwood and Chelmer are also of this "butterfly" design, although most have been heavily modified. Chelmer is relatively the better pick of the three for originality.

So Graceville is possibly the best example, both aesthetically and structurally. Today I risked (God only knows) what "terrorism paranoia" threats to get some photos of the place, to support the application I have finally emailed off to the EPA, to try and have it listed on the Heritage Register.

Like I said, I dont know what good (if any) it will do - it may even be too late. But at least I can say I have tried. I will keep all and sundry posted on what success or failure it has.

Here are a couple of photo's of this classic building, some of which I used in my application.
"You have enemies? Good! That means that you have stood up for something you believe in, at some time in your life....."
Okay - so where does the AHRS stand on issues like this? Does this sort of issue come up on their agenda, or are they to busy looking after their collections - this is basically a query with regards to their charter - not an implied crtisism.

I am wondering if their advocacy would be any help?
[Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=61026]

That thought has crossed my mind. Im not entirely sure, and Im sure that Jacob or SuperMan would be able to suggest an appropriate course of action, if there is an avenue available.

Believe it or not, Ive even acted on Fatty's advice regarding Retrobus, and have followed through.... stuff me, maybe the world is going to end today!!
"You have enemies? Good! That means that you have stood up for something you believe in, at some time in your life....."
Oh, and PS, a BIG thankyou to Dannielle for pointing me to the proper link for this, as asked for in a WoS thread *quite* some time ago Smile
It's a good example of the "brutalism" style of architecture we went through in the 50's.

What's Nundah like? I think it (and Eagle Junction?) might be of the same style.
All comments made by myself are as a private citizen, and are not made on behalf of Aurizon or Australia Eastern Railroad.

[Image: piggyanim1.gif]
http://www.flickr.com/photos/johncnj/
Johnmc
Never play leapfrog with a Unicorn
John - yes you're right on all counts.

Nundah and Eagle Junction have both been heavily painted and modified, although there are still some "corners" pf both stations that retain some of their original feel. Namely the waiting room areas.

Graceville is the only one left with at least 90% of it originality in tact, per se.

Whilst it may not be necessarily appealing now, if it isnt kept, we will lose something of our past.
Well as far as the ARHS stance goes, if a member of the society brings forth a compelling enough argument to the board then it will gain their support, which helps on letters to places like the EPA, QR etc.  I'm not aware of any member bringing this idea forward, thus far.

After watching Indro get the chop over the last few months I have increasingly thought along the lines of what Roller proposes.  Graceville or at pinch Chemler should be good candidates considering their fairly low passenger numbers.
Keep it as long as it doesn't prevent moderisation of the station that supports greater use of rail, otherwise bulldose. We already have too many restrictions and costs on QR to maintain outdated and inefficent infrastructure.

Regards
Shane
(22-Nov-2008, 08:11 PM)RTT_rules link Wrote:Keep it as long as it doesn't prevent moderisation of the station that supports greater use of rail, otherwise bulldose. We already have too many restrictions and costs on QR to maintain outdated and inefficent infrastructure.

Regards
Shane

I believe that there would be ways to incorporate the new measures needed, with regard to "safety" and the anti-discrimination matters that have seen upgrades of other stations, without compromising the heritage aspects of the station precinct itself.

This was duly mentioned in my application, given that this will be one of th first arguments put up against it.
What was Oxford Park before it got re-built for the Mitchelton-Keperra upgrade? Any remnants there? I wasn't looking all that closely when I went on the Ferny Grove Line last month.

I like the new architecture, on the other hand some of the old ones look good too.