Graceville Station
(30-Mar-2009, 08:33 PM)LadyGuard link Wrote:Doesn't sound promising to me!

Tongue

I happen to think quite the opposite! It hasn't been written off at the start, and it hasn't been a "no" outright, so it means it's still in the running. Which has to be a good thing. Im suprised it hasn't been swiftly "altered" or found to be "structurally unsafe" as yet lol.... gee I am a cyncic sometimes...

(01-Apr-2009, 08:33 PM)colinw link Wrote:Great thread, and a great idea to preserve Graceville.

I used to live in Sherwood, and sometimes when I used those stations I used to indulge in a little fantasy where I wondered what it would have been like to ride an electric SX set, pantograph arcing under the 1500V DC wires, through them.

I like how our system turned out with the 25KV AC, but stop and imagine what nearly was ...

cheers,
Colin

....and you know Colin, I reckon it would have been much like riding a Tulloch trailer in Sydney...my mind casts back to the days with no wires, and railmotors chortling away in a cloud of blue smoke... Smile
"You have enemies? Good! That means that you have stood up for something you believe in, at some time in your life....."
(02-Apr-2009, 06:58 AM)Rolls Royce link Wrote:Im suprised it hasn't been swiftly \"altered\" or found to be \"structurally unsafe\" as yet lol.... gee I am a cyncic sometimes...

I think QR will be too busy building a new station at Buranda now Wink .
"It shocks me that Huggies has had a good idea for once in his dim-witted life!" - Jason Roberts, A.T.D.B.
UPDATE - 27 May 2009

Good news! So far, so good.

Today I received a letter from the Dept of Environment & Cultural Heritage, with teh heading thus;

Re; Chief Executive Recommendation to enter Graceville Railway Station in teh Queensland Heritage Register as a State Heritage Place.

Ok, so it isnt game, set and match. Yet. But it is a very, very positive step in the right direction.  :thumb

Acoompantying the letter, was a comprehensive report on the history of the station, the building, the peiople who designed it etc. Someone has doen soem extensive research in the pursuit of the application I made. I will scan and share this info later on for all and sundry - I am sure Trampanto will enjoy the read a lot, given her interest in planning and infrastructure Smile

As it turns out, Graceville (according to the report) was the very first of these style buildings to be completed, and started the trend. It has been acknowledged as a place of "exemplar" of this style, and the supporting report is very good.

Lets see what happens next Smile
"You have enemies? Good! That means that you have stood up for something you believe in, at some time in your life....."
I am looking forward to the report Rollsy. Glad this is moving along with what appears to be some official interest.
"How long will the next train be? Six cars would be my guess."
Roller congrats maybe you should have tried to throw in the circa '62 gantries as well  Big Grin
Mick
Well done Roller, I pass by Graceville daily and it would be awesome to have it remain as an example of that era of work (like Oxley has been for an example of an earlier era)
(27-May-2009, 04:24 PM)Trampanto link Wrote:I am looking forward to the report Rollsy. Glad this is moving along with what appears to be some official interest.
I tried to start scanning the document, but its many pages long, double sided and very in depth - you will enjoy it for sure... but I am going to do this a quicker way tomorrow Wink

(27-May-2009, 05:49 PM)thornesyau link Wrote:Roller congrats maybe you should have tried to throw in the circa '62 gantries as well  Big Grin
Mick

Thanks Mick Smile I was going to push for Taringa as well,w ith it's overhead style design, but thought it best not to push my luck *too* hard lol!

(27-May-2009, 07:03 PM)Jacob link Wrote:Well done Roller, I pass by Graceville daily and it would be awesome to have it remain as an example of that era of work (like Oxley has been for an example of an earlier era)

Jacob - thanks matey! Its not over yet, but like I said, its a step in the right direction... do you know if anyone from the ARHS or to otherwise may have written in to support the application by chance?

PS - must talk to you - my adress has changed and so on lol Wink
http://www.cairnssteam.com.au/wos_docs/Graceville.pdf

The attached is the response I got from the EPA. There is also a lengthy and well researched history on the building, including its design origins.

I think Jan Kral must have designed the bus terminal in Lautoka Fiji too Smile
Anna might sell it to you... Wink
Graham R - Dalby Qld
Any opinions expressed here are my own and not those of any group or organisation I am associated with.
Member Southern Downs Steam Railway | ARHS Qld
(03-Jun-2009, 06:56 PM)Graham4405 link Wrote:Anna might sell it to you... Wink

Hell yeah! For $5! Big Grin