Old time single decker.
No idea with the light set up myself.

I know here in Melbourne the Hitatchi lights are next to useless. They are more there to tell other people you are about, than to light the way. If you get a Hitatchi in the dark hours of the day, then you do basically drive blind. I'm guessing things were much worse in the Tait and Harris days, so maybe these sets are similar in their operation.
"How long will the next train be? Six cars would be my guess."
Speaking of lights...
talking to an EMD consultant recently, he told me that new units recently brought on-line in the UK had to be altered/adjusted due to the Xenon lights being too bright for running with!!
If only we could convince PN to order any new locos to be thus fitted, and to retrofit the rest of the fleet!
Why do you need to see where you are going? It's not like you have to steer or anything! :evil :fishing
Graham R - Dalby Qld
Any opinions expressed here are my own and not those of any group or organisation I am associated with.
Member Southern Downs Steam Railway | ARHS Qld
As a young apprentice in Sydney, I can assure you that these sets only ran with the installed marker lights. Generally all the system was fences and there aren't too many level crossings on it.

One night, I got a cab ride from Quakers Hill out to Richmond in a Parcels van. Same thing - no headlights, and this was a rather rural track (we're talking 1977 here). Generally you could not see were you were going, but sometimes you did get a reflection off the shiney rails from the markers. However, signals stood out okay I remember. Comes down to route knowledge I guess.
[Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=61026]

(06-Feb-2009, 03:47 PM)Mick_L link Wrote:a Parcels van.
Was this a single unit self powered thing, like a rail motor? Any photos of one of these?
Graham R - Dalby Qld
Any opinions expressed here are my own and not those of any group or organisation I am associated with.
dateline= Wrote:What did those old beasts use for headlights??? Or was this in the era when drivers were drivers and knew their roads so intimately that headlights were not necesary
Trains in the Sydney metro aren't allowed to have their headlights on due to the amount of rail traffic and the possibility of blinding motorists driving near the track.

dateline= Wrote:There appear to be 5 marker lights, but unless they're in the UK, surely they wouldn't travel with them to light their way?
The marker lights back then actually told you where the train was going. The three marker lights shown in the OP's pic says it's going to the East Hills Line.
See HERE for other marker codes.

(06-Feb-2009, 04:37 PM)Graham4405 link Wrote:[quote author=Mick_L link=topic=3938.msg66019#msg66019 date=1233899228]
a Parcels van.
Was this a single unit self powered thing, like a rail motor? Any photos of one of these?
[/quote]
Here ya go:
[Image: a1.jpg]
Courtesy of Historic Electric Traction.
Thanks Donk!

I always wondered how useful those things really were, running around on their own. I would have thought it would have been more useful as part of a train!
Graham R - Dalby Qld
And this is how most of the Rattlers ended up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=petCYlGgj...re=related
&quot;With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.<br />The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged.&quot;<br /><br /><br />http://au.youtube.com/user/spacemarine88
dateline= Wrote:And this is how most of the Rattlers ended up...

...with the exception of these two sets...
[Image: 2169950853_8fcd9178e0.jpg]
The Marker Lights were originally used to indicate the trains destination, same as Melbourne.

Sydney trains didn't (and still don't) operate with headlights lit, except for runs in the Blue Mountains, to Newcastle and I think down the Illawarra in some parts. Everywhere else the rules prescribe headlights MUST be turned off, unless needed for safety. This includes freighters.

From my trusty "Sydneys Electric Trains" book, it was definately on the East Hills as previously stated, due to the three upper marker lights being illuminated. Other destinations include:

Illawarra - Centre & Upper Right
Liverpool - Centre & Upper Right
Inner / Outer West - Upper Left & Upper Right
Main North - Centre & Upper Left
East Hills - Centre, Upper Left & Upper Right
Bankstown - Upper and Lower Left
Eastern Suburbs - Upper Right & Lower Left
Chullora Workshops - Centre Only
North Shore - No indication

Taking the photo, zooming in and inverting the colours shows the plate to read Fa39, basically Flemington set 39, part A. They used to be able to divide trains so set F39b may be swinging off the rear, with each set made up of 8 cars. This could be further divided into two-car pairs of F39a1 and F39a2, F39b1, F39b2 etc...

EDIT: Should have read page 2 of the thread. f-D covered everything I've said already...
Comments made are strictly the opinion of the author and do not reflect the opinions of the ADF, Pacific National, Freight Australia or the Boy Scouts of Antartica.

My fotopic gallery: http://KRviator.fotopic.net