Signal Irregularity - XPT vs Freight Train - Cootamundra
dateline= Wrote:At about 0216 Eastern Daylight Time on 12 November 2009 at Cootamundra NSW, scheduled interstate XPT passenger train service ST22 was about to turn off the 'up' main railway line (to Sydney) so that it could pass stopped freight train 4MB7, when the XPT driver selected emergency braking to stop the train.  The XPT driver did so because he believed that the last wagon of freight train 4MB7 was obstructing the path that the XPT was to follow. The XPT safely stopped clear of the freight train.  Train control was advised of the problem and shortly after the freight train was moved forward to clear the path for the XPT.

The ATSB has initiated a formal rail safety investigation due to the potential risk of the XPT passenger train colliding with the rear end of freight train 4MB7.  The investigation is continuing.

http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/inve...9-009.aspx
Sounds similar to Tarana all over again. This is becoming a real concern, rookie drivers rookie controllers. I hate to say it, but I have said it before, there is going to be a catastrophic incident in the Hunter with the way things are going for the same reasons as I typed before, rookies.
From reading the preliminary report it looks like the signal design engineers fucked up in a big way. The controller's screen said -MB7 was in clear and he set the route for the XPT, but the last wagon wasn't clear.

How, why, and for how long this has been the case remains to be seen, as does whether or not it can affect any other locations.

I'm going to have to support Timmmay here too, but for different reasons. I've said it before, but there's a godalmighty prang coming, and PN's fingerprints are going to be all over it.
Comments made are strictly the opinion of the author and do not reflect the opinions of the ADF, Pacific National, Freight Australia or the Boy Scouts of Antartica.

My fotopic gallery: http://KRviator.fotopic.net
From what you just said, Kraviator, I don't see how PN could get the blame unless they are the Infrastructure/Control folk involved.
How could a Driver be blamed if it's an older style loco without a counting device?
Not blaming anyone in this instance other than the signal electricians or design folk who set up the system in that manner, Fifi...

Timmaayy commented that theere's a big prang coming, and the "rookiness" of those in the industry will contribute to it, I'm agreeing with him that there's another big one coming, but I think PN's policies, procedures or quite simply opreating practices will be the cause, perhaps with the experience of those involved going some way to causing it as well.
Comments made are strictly the opinion of the author and do not reflect the opinions of the ADF, Pacific National, Freight Australia or the Boy Scouts of Antartica.

My fotopic gallery: http://KRviator.fotopic.net
Rob, I believe I might have seen you report quite favourably on your experience (albeit short) with the Q version of PN. So what are the fundamental differences between the two versions of this organisation, in your opinion? (Loop it if you wish)
[Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=61026]