Another small piece of infrastructure gone
On Wednesday 3rd, Emerald Hill staff hut and platform were demolished due to the safety concerns regarding the platform edges and the safeworking change from electric staff to CTC.

[Image: emerald_hill02.jpg]
http://www.nswrail.net/locations/show.ph...erald+Hill
It is always sad to lose infrastructure; but once CTC is operational is there any practical use for the hut and platform? I would suggest that if there isn't then they would simply become another target for vandalism.

Such is our society.
It took a team of professionals to build the Titanic and a lone amateur to build the Ark
Nothing is sacred these days, they could of left it there, or at least the platform.
At least given the hut away to a good home.
Sad
[Image: bike-1.gif]
Vale Emerald Hill.

Does anybody have opening/closing dates for this location? I believe that it was a passenger stop for CountryLink up until a few years ago.

I suspect, however, that the concern about the platform edges was merely a convenient excuse for the disposal of a piece of redundant infrastructure. While I agree that it's always sad to lose infrastructure, we have to be realistic - the need for Emerald Hill had passed. Also, it should be borne in mind that it is simply not possible to preserve everything (much as we would like to).
&quot;I thought your dog did not bite!!&quot;<br /><br />&quot;That's not my dog.&quot;
Inspector,

According to my copy of the PTC NSW Station Names book, Emerald Hill was opened 1883.

As for the platform there, I agree, it was more than suitable for many a train crew to use for staff exchanges in recent times, if it was that much of a safety risk, it would  have been gone long ago.

I was up there last year in the last days of electric staff for the Safeworking arrangements, pictured is the Boggabri instrument on its last night, inside Emerald hill and a train leaving Boggabri, they could of left the platform.
[Image: stuff030-1.jpg]
[Image: stuff024-1.jpg]
[Image: stuff028-1.jpg]
[Image: stuff029-1.jpg]
I suppose unless you are willing to maintain it personally, then why should it stay? Not historical significance, not required by operator, then like anything else time to go. NSW has more historic rail infrastructure than it can look after now.
(26-Apr-2010, 08:35 PM)Inspector link Wrote:I suspect, however, that the concern about the platform edges was merely a convenient excuse for the disposal of a piece of redundant infrastructure. While I agree that it's always sad to lose infrastructure, we have to be realistic - the need for Emerald Hill had passed. Also, it should be borne in mind that it is simply not possible to preserve everything (much as we would like to).

On Junction Box's third photo you'll see some orange fencing on the end of the platform. This is where a driver stepped off the loco one night and slipped back off the brick face and snapped his achilles tendon. The fencing and a warning sign was ARTC's fix for a few weeks until CTC came through and made the box redundant.

The box itself had been eaten out and really needed demolishing before it fell down.