Whittingham's Wheatie Whoopsie
Seems a Werris Creek crew did their damndest to ruin the new infrastructure at Whittingham today, by splitting the points - at the best part of 80kph 40 kph. Two 81's and upto 9 WTY-type wagons in various stages of derailment, with the trailing 81 (03) leaning left.

8141 was on point and is upright, but apparently quite deeply buried. The info I got was that you could almost step out of the cab straight onto the ballast.

Crew reported to be uninjured.

EDIT: And had anyone else sen the website Derailment.com.au?
EDIT 2: Corrected speed from 80 -> 40kph based on info from f_d
Comments made are strictly the opinion of the author and do not reflect the opinions of the ADF, Pacific National, Freight Australia or the Boy Scouts of Antartica.

My fotopic gallery: http://KRviator.fotopic.net
News clip from NBN.
http://www.nbntv.com.au/index.php/2010/0...er-valley/
From the NBN News

dateline= Wrote:It was the first major derailment in over 6 months...\"
That's not at all something to be proud of, you bunch of muppets...

First major derailment in 6 years, then yeah, announce it, but 6 months? Puhlease...
Comments made are strictly the opinion of the author and do not reflect the opinions of the ADF, Pacific National, Freight Australia or the Boy Scouts of Antartica.

(13-Mar-2010, 06:25 PM)KRviator link Wrote:Seems a Werris Creek crew did their damndest to ruin the new infrastructure at Whittingham today, by splitting the points - at the best part of 80kph. Two 81's and upto 9 WTY-type wagons in various stages of derailment, with the trailing 81 (03) leaning left.

If you want a derailment done properly, no one does it quite like us :devil

Due to CAN block working through the worksite area, the train was only doing approx 40Kph went it came off. Initial reports I heard was that the swingnose part of the up branch points was still set for the branch while the switchblades had been set for the main. All points in the area had been hand wound due to the signals not being recommissioned in time for the end of the shutdown. The incident is still under investigation.

(13-Mar-2010, 06:25 PM)KRviator link Wrote:8141 was on point and is upright, but apparently quite deeply buried. The info I got was that you could almost step out of the cab straight onto the ballast.

Crew reported to be uninjured.
Both crew were fairly shaken when I got to the site, but were reasonably OK. The driver was taken to Singleton hospital for a checkup due to a pain in his left shoulder after hitting the brake stand and handle during the incident. He was released shortly thereafter.

[Image: 4428623269_e05bf13e89_b.jpg]

[Image: 4428621445_ceb5ed0b1b.jpg]

[Image: 4428618317_ea9f2dd7c8.jpg]

[Image: 4429384662_770036196a.jpg]

For larger images, see my Flickr site in my sig.
Just a couple to add to Flying Donkeys of the rerailing effort taken while on call car driving duties.

[Image: 4430405856_718499f9ba_o.jpg]

[Image: 4430405000_7c17994878_o.jpg]
Regards,<br />Scott<br /><br />http://www.flickr.com/photos/theshoppingtrolley/
dateline= Wrote:Due to CAN block working through the worksite area, the train was only doing approx 40Kph went it came off.
CAN Block Working? Absolutely no reason to doubt you at all, but I certainly hope that wasn't the Authority the crew had. CAN Block working is to be used for right-running-direction movements on Unidirectional lines.

If Middle Hunter introduced CAN Block working for the Minimbah-Whittingham section (double-line, bi-directional), or even through Whitingham Yard, I think someone's going to get in the shit, very quickly.

I can't see where you are coming from KR???
At the time the signal system was being commissioning and the  BI-DI system was out of commission.
Why cant you run under CAN block working?
dateline= Wrote:I can't see where you are coming from KR???
At the time the signal system was being commissioning and the  BI-DI system was out of commission.
Why cant you run under CAN block working?
Buggered if I know exactly why the rule exists, but under the Manual Block Working system of Safeworking, it clearly states that CAN Block working is for uni-directional lines only, and even then only for use by traffic travelling in the right-running direction.

If the Train Controller implemented this form of Special Working, he should be hung, drawn and quartered, and if the crew accepted such an authority, I dare say they'll be in slightly shallower shit than the bloke on the Middle Hunter Board...Much the same as whoever it was that accepted a CAN form to pass a starter at stop into the Bi-Di near Muswellbrook not that long ago.

While it will come out in the report if indeed the now-derailed train's authority was issued under CAN Block Working - as opposed to basic Manual Block Working - the suggestion that it was is deeply troubling, at least to me. This is a form of Safeworking that I've never used - hell I've only travelled under Pilot Staff Working 3 or 4 times - however, it is these forms of Safeworking that we as the operating crews need to be the most conversant with, in part because we don't encounter it often enough, but because there's actually a reason you're using it, in this case, for travel through a worksite without the normal protection afforded by the computer-based interlocking.

An extract from Network Rules and Procedures...
dateline= Wrote:CAN block working

CAN block working is manual block working, using
a Condition Affecting the Network (CAN) form
(ANRF 004) to warn Drivers and track vehicle operators
about the working.

CAN block working may be used only for right
running-direction movements on unidirectional lines.

Signallers, Handsignallers and clearance Handsignallers
must record, in permanent form:
• train numbers and track vehicle numbers, and
• arrival times, and
• departure times.

CAN block working can not be used in the Minimbah-Whittingham section due to there being no automatic signals. CAN Block working can only be used to pass multiple automatic signals within a section at stop and can only be used between 2 controlled locations.
Tim, what about within yard limits and with signals booked out of use? (having never used CAN block working, I wouldn't have a bloody clue)