Newcastle Line
Hi,
The closure or the non closure of the Newcastle line is in the news again.
A story on line at the Herald online site and 2 pages of print in the paper.
Kristina Keneally listened to the developers group and the save our rail group with a decision to be made soon according to the news.
Regards,
Brianten<br />http://www.allozrail.freeforums.org/<br />http://www.freewebs.com/neriau/<br />http://www.freewebs.com/saroeight/<br />http://www.freewebs.com/aurcsandrms/
The previous decision/half decision to retain the line was based on a political assessment that to close the line would lose votes. With the election 12 months away this assessment should be self-reinforcing.

Recent comments by KK  show that she has no real idea of railways and rail operations. It is to be hoped that the political realists can point her decison in right direction.
It took a team of professionals to build the Titanic and a lone amateur to build the Ark
O'Farrell did commit a coalition to closing the railway line. That was when Iemma was Premier.

I doubt that Liberal voters outside of Newcastle would be overly embittered if he overlooked that commitment. The question is how much voters in marginal electorates around Newcastle care, and whether they want it closed or open.
"I know politicians are gonna be judged on everything they say, but sometimes, in the heat of discussion, you go a little bit further ... which is one of the reasons why the statements that need to be taken ... as gospel truth is those carefully prepared scripted remarks." Tony Abbott
Excuse my ignorance. What Newcastle line are we talking about?
Graham R - Dalby Qld
Any opinions expressed here are my own and not those of any group or organisation I am associated with.
Member Southern Downs Steam Railway | ARHS Qld
We're talking about the line from Broadmeadow to Newcastle.

Since 2004 (around the time when Costa became transport Minister), there have been proposals to end the line at Wickham. A developer was planning to put a big commercial development over the existing corridor. There's also been the suggestion that some land on the railway corridor would become waterside residential.

The proposal also requires the government to supply buses from Wickham to Newcastle to replace the existing railway service.
"I know politicians are gonna be judged on everything they say, but sometimes, in the heat of discussion, you go a little bit further ... which is one of the reasons why the statements that need to be taken ... as gospel truth is those carefully prepared scripted remarks." Tony Abbott
Thanks Speed. Have checked out the lay of the land on Google maps and now understand.
Graham R - Dalby Qld
Any opinions expressed here are my own and not those of any group or organisation I am associated with.
Member Southern Downs Steam Railway | ARHS Qld
I've just done a spot of poking around. The developer is known as "GPT". They have lobby groups with names like Fix Our City. Their argument is that the level-crossings clog the Newcastle Peninsula with traffic and that removing the railway line would resolve these.

The Newcastle Herald had this article. Railpage's commentary on this development often prefixed the adjective "Biased" to the name of the newspaper, suggesting that it was overly favourable towards the development.
dateline= Wrote:In an interview with The Herald, Ms Keneally said she had met last week with property developers GPT, who are proposing a redevelopment of the Hunter Street mall.

Agreeing the rail line formed \"a manufactured barrier\", Ms Keneally said she was looking for a \"compromise that allows us to maintain that infrastructure but open up the area\". \"What I don't want to see is a missed opportunity,\" Ms Keneally said. \"I also don't want to walk away from public infrastructure if we don't have to and I am trying to achieve both those aims.
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/n...85720.aspx

Like the Sydney Morning Herald, the Newcastle Herald is devising a transport plan for their city. It might warrant its own thread.
Only in Australia would we consider closing part of the line between our largest city and the 2nd largest city in its state.  A line that was electrified within the last 30 years.

The mind boggles.  This would eclipse even the Beenleigh to Southport closure in 1964 as an act of sheer political bastardry & stupidity.
Rail should be the backbone of our transport system. That fact that it is not is an indictment of the systematic failure of transport planning and policy in this country.
(30-Mar-2010, 08:38 AM)colinw link Wrote:Only in Australia would we consider closing part of the line between our largest city and the 2nd largest city in its state.  A line that was electrified within the last 30 years.

The mind boggles.  This would eclipse even the Beenleigh to Southport closure in 1964 as an act of sheer political bastardry & stupidity.
Without also mentioning the amount of work that's been done on that in recent years and the absolute chaos it causes when the Newcastle branch is shut, Col. But I have to agree about the comment about it being an act of sheer political bastardry and stupidity, but that's what happens when you leave one party in for too long (though the alternative is not much better)
Newcastle should also look to the Gold Coast to see the difficulty and expense involved in returning rail to a large city after it has been removed.

Rail should be the backbone of our transport system. That fact that it is not is an indictment of the systematic failure of transport planning and policy in this country.