Waratah/PPP test train about to hit the track
The first set delivered to Railcorp; A3; has been running proving trials for a couple of weeks now. The test runs are stepping up and will be intensive over the next few weeks. Today was tabled for a return run to Wyong. It didn't quite go as per timetable.

The down journey was on time and looked good as it passed through Mount Colah. I was on the following service; 10.15 Central to Newcastle. On arrival at Gosford set A3 was in the back platform (3). It should have been almost in Wyong. Without warning set V9 on the Newcastle service was terminated with mechanical problems??? Passengers were offloaded to await the up service from Newcastle which was terminated. Set A3 ws in the way. Points and signals were set for it to move into the Racecourse siding. At the last moment the road was reset for the down siding opposite the signal box. The far signal was also set for a departure for Wyong. The 2 V sets exchanged passengers and set off. As I departed for Tuggerah set A3 changed its markers for a return to Sydney. On my return from Tuggerah it was standing in the back platform and departed as per the timetable. The second view is a trailing view departing Hornsby. It was the best possible due to a terminater in the way in platform 4.

This timetable will operate again on wednesday and again next monday.

It took a team of professionals to build the Titanic and a lone amateur to build the Ark
It's maybe a bit late to mention it now, but I saw one of the new trains on test on the weekend (couldn't see what the number was). It stopped at Wentworthville heading west around 6.20pm on Saturday, the doors opened and then closed with the usual "stand clear doors closing" announcement. The doors had signs on them saying "Please do not board. Train on test" (or something like that). I was coming down the ramp at the time and could see that in some carriages about a third of the seats had been taken out and a large quantity of weights (like the ones they use when testing lifts) were spread out on the floor. there were a number of staff inside wearing those orange safety vests.
Waratah train finally on track

Fri Jul 1, 2011

Sydney rail commuters have finally had a chance to board one of the city's new, much-delayed Waratah trains.

The fleet of air conditioned trains was meant to be ready more than a year ago.

Manufacturer Downer EDI has been plagued with problems, including software defects and the discovery of asbestos at its factory in the Newcastle suburb of Cardiff.

This morning passengers were allowed on board one of the trains for the first time at Redfern.

The eight-car train was then scheduled to make its way through the city to Circular Quay before continuing on to Macarthur, in the city's south-west.

It is part of one of the biggest train orders in Australian history, with more than 600 carriages to be produced over three years.

Each train can carry up to 900 passengers.

The New South Wales Government has been highly critical of the project.

Transport Minister Gladys Berejiklian says she is pleased a train is finally in service but there is still a long way to go.

"This is a big project with big problems. We're taking a step at a time to make sure everything is put right," Ms Berejiklian said.

"But we also want to emphasis that this problem we inherited from the Labor Party. They signed the contract in 2006.

"The problems are ongoing and we're taking (it) a step at a time."

Train drivers have given the fleet's newest addition the thumbs up though.

Bob Newham from the Rail, Tram and Bus Union says the Waratah offers a smooth ride.

"It's very nice, it's very quiet, very smooth, very modern piece of equipment, very nice to drive. I had a drive of it as part of the testing regime," Mr Newham said.

"Cab layout and control design is based on the Millennium train and the later version of that, the Oscar train. It's similar to both of those."
Graham R - Dalby Qld
Any opinions expressed here are my own and not those of any group or organisation I am associated with.
Member Southern Downs Steam Railway | ARHS Qld
I finally got a ride this afternoon on set A4. Very smooth riding it was too. The LED lighting is excellent. It provides a much cleaner white than the traditional fluorescents. The seats of course were as hard as.... just like the Tangaras, Oscars and Milleniums. I suppose that this part of the price to be paid to counter vandalism.

The destination displays in this set have yet to be updated. The absence of comma deliniators and extra spaces presents a possible problem. I can hear the complaints from the passenger who never found the station "North Kingsgrove". The absence of delinieators is not much of an issue for regular travellers and locals who know the geography etc., but visitors from interstate and overseas would be quickly confused. This would be unacceptable.
It took a team of professionals to build the Titanic and a lone amateur to build the Ark
Bit an update for those who are still interested.

A1 - A2: On a slow boat to China, quite literally to have there seats and Air Con installed before coming back to NSW to enter passenger service
A3 - A8: Have been in regular service for some time now and have been for the most part trouble free (although A6 is developing a bad rep with crews)
A9: Acceptance testing/running in (May be in service already)
&quot;With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.<br />The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged.&quot;<br /><br /><br />http://au.youtube.com/user/spacemarine88
(24-Feb-2012, 06:36 PM)The Doctor Wrote: Bit an update for those who are still interested.

A1 - A2: On a slow boat to China, quite literally to have there seats and Air Con installed before coming back to NSW to enter passenger service
A3 - A8: Have been in regular service for some time now and have been for the most part trouble free (although A6 is developing a bad rep with crews)
A9: Acceptance testing/running in (May be in service already)

I'll give an update here...

A0 (PPTV) - At AMF - Still unsure as to what's going on at an enthusiast level.
A1 - In Changchun getting fitted
A02 - Haven't seen it for a few months, Last I saw it was at AMF

A3-A20(?) - Revenue Service

A21 and A22(?) In testing Sydney.

A12 and A13 are still at Cardiff.