Greens call for Sydney-Melbourne rail link
It really would need to go through Canberra. The final VFT proposal was to roughly follow the Cooma line south to the border and then the Bairnsdale line into Melbourne...which I guess throws up an alternative route through Melbourne's Eastern suburbs rather than the north...if that makes any difference? Would it be possible to build a segragated 25Kva line into the city from that direction...or make that line 25kva for the suburbans and intercities as well?

Mind you I've had long hard look at the mountains west of Canberra that separates it from the Wagga Wagga/Albury route and I don't think it would be any harder to tunnel west out of the capital than going south past the ski-fields (but these are probably a bigger travel market than inland cities could offer).
Nickel Plate High Speed Service
Coming in via the eastern suburbs would be a no go. Too many marginal seats, and the bulk of Melbourne's suburbs are out that way. Either way, the Great Dividing Range would have to be crossed at some point, and an inland route might be what is needed to encourage people to move away from the coast.
"How long will the next train be? Six cars would be my guess."
(06-Sep-2010, 09:52 PM)Chicken Fish Wrote: From there, I'll let the New South Welshmen work out the best route, but I am guessing to would have to go via Canberra. If there are any other stops along the way, I really don't know. Realistically, the trip from Spencer Street to Central Station shouldn't take more than around 3-3.5 hours for it to be competitive with the times it takes to get to the airport, check in, fly, and get into the destination city.

G'day Chicken Fish and all,

I'm thinking Canberra would be definitely on the stopping patterns. There would be a few issues around Sydney though, mainly because of the military land and national parks here. This was said in a news report some months ago.

It's not impossible, and it'll be done soon I hope.

Cheers,
Ben
This is probably the best policy from Green, and the one Federal government can support easily, the rest of their policy are kinda scary!
But yeah it's about time, we, Canada and New Zealand are probably the only 3 first world countries without high speed rail. Even Ireland has 200kph operation trains.

[Image: n683534923_2064647_3537.jpg]

[Image: n683534923_2064659_8679.jpg]

[Image: 4184_107794969923_683534923_2807329_6005681_n.jpg]

[Image: 4184_107794979923_683534923_2807331_5017611_n.jpg]
It's not so much the trains as the tracks.

An XPT, for example, could go at speeds in that range if there were suitable tracks and suitable timetabling.
With a government study on high speed trains due on Thursday, today's Age has a foamy new Australian High Speed Train concept, with lots of pictures.
Quote:With the route between Melbourne and Sydney one of the busiest air traffic corridors in the world, an opportunity exists for an alternative form of transport - one where passengers can say goodbye to endless queues and delayed flights, babies crying and bad aeroplane food.

Hassell's design, created by a Melbourne team of six over six months, was partly inspired by the iconic Australian 1960s Holden Monaro, which was well-known for its speed.
The A-HSV would certainly offer speed - up to 400 kilometres per hour. A trip from Melbourne to Sydney would take under three hours, Hassell says. And with dining facilities, as well as a convenience store, commuters would be able to comfortably do their daily shopping or have a bite to eat before arriving at their destination.

The double-decker train offers a sophisticated, spacious and modern open-plan look; there are even private booths for business meetings. If Australia needs further inspiration, it need only look to its largest trading partner: China.
http://www.theage.com.au/travel/travel-n...1fqnd.html

"I know politicians are gonna be judged on everything they say, but sometimes, in the heat of discussion, you go a little bit further ... which is one of the reasons why the statements that need to be taken ... as gospel truth is those carefully prepared scripted remarks." Tony Abbott
(02-Aug-2011, 05:22 PM)Speed Wrote: With a government study on high speed trains due on Thursday,

For some unknown reason I started reading that as: "With a government high on speed ..." :o
Graham R - Dalby Qld
Any opinions expressed here are my own and not those of any group or organisation I am associated with.
Member Southern Downs Steam Railway | ARHS Qld
Confusedmiley

From today news.com.au

* High-speed rail link would cost as much as $108b
* Minister says high-speed rail is a "game changer"
* Said "success elsewhere in the world" defies critics

THE long-held dream of a high-speed rail link from Melbourne to Brisbane would cost as much as $108 billion to build and the clearing of a corridor 200m wide and 1600km long.
The daunting costs and land requirements are contained in the Federal Government's first report on an implementation study promised at the election, to be released today.
But the potential of a very fast train service also were covered.
The trains could reach speeds of 350 km/h and offer trips such as three hours between Sydney and Brisbane, and 40 minutes between Sydney and Newcastle, said the report by a consortium of private consultants.
By 2036, the network could sell 54 million tickets a year, half of them to people who otherwise would have flown between Sydney and Melbourne, the world's 5th busiest air route.
Ticket prices might range from $75 to $177 for the Brisbane-Sydney route; $99 to $197 for Sydney to Melbourne; and $16.50 for a Newcastle-Sydney commute.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/dream...z1U0OM5X86

Medo

The Age had these words:
Quote:Rail entry to Melbourne is recommended through Southern Cross and North Melbourne stations at a cost of $5.3 billion for city access and the stations.
http://www.theage.com.au/travel/travel-n...1ibp8.html

The standard-gauge trains that do interstate journeys currently don't service North Melbourne. Some people see North Melbourne as an unnecessary place for V-Line services to stop. The Eddingtunnel is not planned to service North Melbourne. By entering Melbourne through North Melbourne, do they mean actually stopping there?

Melbourne International Airport would be a more useful place to service. If it's servicing Newcastle, maybe another city along the way would be more useful than North Melbourne.