Bad news for 3830
Hi all,

I was talking to a carraige attendant during the great train weekend in sydney and he that steam loco 3830 won't be steaming for a long time!Sad He said that the loco is due for an inspection and will have to be dismanteled. However there is good news for my favorite steam loco 3801. He said that 3801 will be in steam for next years thirlmere festival of steam. Unfortunately 3830 will not be joining her.
The Steam Locomotive- Mans greatest invention!
3801Fan, while carraige attendents know a lot about carraige's, sometimes this does not extend to the loco's.
(29-Jun-2010, 06:39 PM)Mitch Wrote: 3801Fan, while carraige attendents know a lot about carraige's, sometimes this does not extend to the loco's.
I have experienced this phenomenon... Smile
Graham R - Dalby Qld
Any opinions expressed here are my own and not those of any group or organisation I am associated with.
Member Southern Downs Steam Railway | ARHS Qld
Often the junior carriage attendant doesn’t know much about the area's rail history or the carriages' use in the olden days or just about anything else. The organisation has trained them up on the safety and customer relations side, not always on the rail historical side. The junior carriage attendant is the energetic friendly face that the general public sees and thus the general public feels welcomed and thus may come again next time. Often the junior staff may only have been given a few sheets on the local history etc, just enough to answer general questions from the public.

The carriage attendants sometimes are just raw recruits starting off on the great journey of joining a rail preservation society and are at the start of the great learning curve so need lots of encouragement.

The other more senior carriage attendants will later fill the junior ones in on the rail historical stuff but that could take years. If the junior carriage attendants are interested and find a suitable mentor then the junior carriage attendants will learn but if they are not sure or get a rough deal from the public or the senior members of the historical society then the junior carriage attendants will not return.

The junior carriage attendants are the new carriage attendants and can be of any age, even retired from paid employment and looking for somewhere to volunteer in their retirement. The rail historical societies and the general public should treasure these junior carriage attendants.

I recall years ago when I was at the start of the great rail learning curve that I was lucky that I found a couple of thoughtful mentors. I still consider myself still climbing the rail historical learning curve.

If the junior carriage attendants joined an internet group that is full of sympathetic mentors such as you people on WOS, then they will stay and grow as rail historiansConfusedmiley
Obsolete Australian railway historical downloadable document list
I guess carriage attendants are just a part of the Heritage/Tourist Railway volunteer workforce that is in short supply nationwide. We shouldn't criticise the willing for such shortcomings. Safety and Customer Relations are more important than historical knowledge.

With regard to learning, I've been a railfan all my 58 years and I'm still a baby as far as rail knowledge goes.
Graham R - Dalby Qld
Any opinions expressed here are my own and not those of any group or organisation I am associated with.
Member Southern Downs Steam Railway | ARHS Qld
(30-Jun-2010, 01:15 PM)Graham4405 Wrote: I guess carriage attendants are just a part of the Heritage/Tourist Railway volunteer workforce that is in short supply nationwide. We shouldn't criticise the willing for such shortcomings. Safety and Customer Relations are more important than historical knowledge.

With regard to learning, I've been a railfan all my 58 years and I'm still a baby as far as rail knowledge goes.

Hear, hear, as a carriage attendant myself, (MVHR & SDSR), yes, it is a big learning process, I am still learning heaps and I've been a carriage attendant for 2 1/2 years and I know I still have a long way to go but I'm loving the journey!!! Confusedmiley
Member of Mary Valley Heritage Railway/Southern Downs Steam Railway/Australian Railway Historical Society/Australian Narrow Gauge Railway Museum Society/Downs Steam.

A chocolate fix a day, keeps the physciatrist away! Big Grin
I don't see it as criticism, but is I was ever asked about a carriage that I do not work on, I would point them in the right direction to get the answer.

This is how rumours and wrong information gets started.

During this Sydney train weekend the PHM had there loco 3265 on show for the public to come aboard the cab and ask questions. This would have been the best place to ask the question about 3830.
Edit as of Sunday morning
I have removed what was originally posted, as it was posted on Railpage that the post had misinformation in it. I do not want to be posting false information. At last count, 3830 was in the roundhouse at Thirlmere, presumably being worked on
Thanks stephen88.

Good to hear that she is getting fixed up.
The Steam Locomotive- Mans greatest invention!
Any further information on 3830