Great News (3085).
Hi all,

I have great news for all NSW steam buffs and gunzels: steam loco 3085 might be returning to steam!!!!

There is a group in the hunter valley interested in buying the loco off the NSWRTM and returning it steam. It could be the HVRT but I don't know. I don't think it would be steamfest, because they have already got enough work on their hands returning their 10 class to steam.

Has anyone got any idea of what group is interested in buying it?

It will be nice to have a 30 class tank engine in steam since 3112 doesn't run anymore.

3085 is currently kept at Goulburn Roundhouse along with the NSWRTMs two oil burning D59s (which will be staying at Goulburn Roundhouse).
The Steam Locomotive- Mans greatest invention!
What makes you think any of us have any idea?
Gee what great news, it MIGHT be restored. You know what also might happen- pigs (as in the animal) might fly. Come back here when you have confirmation of it being restored. More chance of 3137 running again than that one!
Hey at least it's better news than it will not be restored. Oh and I have just found out that it is almost certainly being being bought buy that group in the hunter valley.

And what makes me think that anyone has any idea- Well it's simple, steam buffs know alot about whats going on in the world of steam.
Pfft, believe it when I see it. What group in the Hunter? There's only about 4 of them. Especially if HVRT have it, really good chance we'll see it again-anyone seen R766 lately?
Seriously kid, you need to name your sources (and the group) and provide more than just saying that it might be restored and taking that as factual. There's been a lot of cases over the years of saying a loco might be restored and it has never happened or never got finished (case in point 5711). There was a big fuss about the same thing on Railpage last year saying that it was potential to restore 3616 without any further proof being given.
I'll say this-steam buff hear a lot of rumours, how much is true is another matter. Until you've got firm proog and can name the group, stop spam posting on here!
Good Point
Mate, you really have to get your facts right. The group you hope will restore it, cannot look after what they already have,(due to various reasons). It's not "steamfest" as you quote, and "they" are not returning "their 10 classes" to steam. Steamfest has no interest in the privately owned 10 classes, even though they can be operated to compliment the festival at a fraction of the cost. Please do some research...
I don't really "hope" it will go to HVRT.
Jumboman44211
i think the reference to the the 10 class could of been 1042 the loco thats currently stuffed and mounted at the information centre, i have seen some press about it being restored for steamfest, but again time will tell if thats gonna happen.

scott
(07-Oct-2010, 12:17 PM)Ghostryder Wrote: Jumboman44211
i think the reference to the the 10 class could of been 1042 the loco thats currently stuffed and mounted at the information centre, i have seen some press about it being restored for steamfest, but again time will tell if thats gonna happen.

scott

Scott,

That loco will never steam again. 1042 will go into the "boys club" shed, never to be seen again. It was steamable when it was stuffed and mounted years ago, but years of neglect have made it now near impossible to run again sad, but true.

Cheers
If you look in the index for NSW & ACT on this forum you will see the article that I posted (from the maitland mecury about 1042 being restored to operation for steamfest 2011 or 2012.