The end of the Sunlander
(30-Oct-2010, 07:25 PM)Coyote Wrote:
Quote:someone did mention that alt side loading cars were made and trialled
There was a photo of the side loading car carrier in one of the railway mags, the photo was taken in Charleville at the station, they were loading/unloading a QR holden crewman ute off the platform into the wagon, it had one big lift up door on the side.

The photo wouldn't have been at Charleville. These wagons wouldn't get through the tunnels on the range.
(31-Oct-2010, 10:20 PM)A10 Wrote:
(30-Oct-2010, 07:25 PM)Coyote Wrote:
Quote:someone did mention that alt side loading cars were made and trialled
There was a photo of the side loading car carrier in one of the railway mags, the photo was taken in Charleville at the station, they were loading/unloading a QR holden crewman ute off the platform into the wagon, it had one big lift up door on the side.

The photo wouldn't have been at Charleville. These wagons wouldn't get through the tunnels on the range.
Well, I reckon it was. :confused

[Image: bike-1.gif]
(31-Oct-2010, 10:20 PM)A10 Wrote: These wagons wouldn't get through the tunnels on the range.

Oh? The M & L cars do and these appear to have the same profile...
Graham R - Dalby Qld
Any opinions expressed here are my own and not those of any group or organisation I am associated with.
Member Southern Downs Steam Railway | ARHS Qld
(01-Nov-2010, 02:25 PM)Graham4405 Wrote:
(31-Oct-2010, 10:20 PM)A10 Wrote: These wagons wouldn't get through the tunnels on the range.

Oh? The M & L cars do and these appear to have the same profile...

I seem to remember a train notice about these wagons from in the days when they were being tested, noting that they were out of gauge.
[Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=61026]

(01-Nov-2010, 02:25 PM)Graham4405 Wrote: Oh? The M & L cars do and these appear to have the same profile...

The M & L cars are different profiles. In fact, the L series are restricted west of Ipswich. The car wagons are the same profile as the L series I think but are longer and therefore will have problems in the curved tunnels on the range.
(01-Nov-2010, 07:07 PM)A10 Wrote: the L series are restricted west of Ipswich

So I guess this means it is unlikely that once the M cars are gone that the Westie will continue...
Graham R - Dalby Qld
Any opinions expressed here are my own and not those of any group or organisation I am associated with.
(01-Nov-2010, 10:12 PM)Graham4405 Wrote:
(01-Nov-2010, 07:07 PM)A10 Wrote: the L series are restricted west of Ipswich

So I guess this means it is unlikely that once the M cars are gone that the Westie will continue...

The L series cars can and do run west of Ipswich - it is just that they are restricted through some tunnels and some stations.
(01-Nov-2010, 10:42 PM)A10 Wrote: The L series cars can and do run west of Ipswich - it is just that they are restricted through some tunnels and some stations.

Yes, I understand that. By 'restricted' I assume 'speed restricted'? I just thought it was less likely for a complete train made up of L series cars to run than a train with mostly M series cars with the odd L.
Graham R - Dalby Qld
It was in Railway Digest... I distinctly remember it being at Charleville...for Roma St it certainly looked very dry! and flat...
Resident photography advisor.
There are times when the Mail west has had L class coaches on and restrions are basically in the same place as for container trains as well as certain loops thru some of the crossing staions/loops