The end of the Sunlander
(27-Oct-2010, 06:40 PM)Mick Wrote: Happened to be at a meeting with the regional passenger section of the department of transport and main roads today when the press release came out. I just had to ask when I should be thinking about booking a trip on Westy or the Inlander before they disappeared. They would not (of course) do anything so crass as to admit to a cessation of those services, but they did ask me what I was doing over Christmas. Of course the M series cars are doomed, but they'll probably try and squeeze a little more life out of the L series, so one of the inland services might struggle on for a bit.

I wouldn't be surprised if certain carriages are used for other business requirements in the future.
Real trains have Guards Vans
Off the top of my head and open to correction, the withdrawal of the M series cars should still leave 5 QPB, 2 D??? enclosed car carriers, 5 LDC, 5 LAR, 5 LAL and 10 LBL - if some of the LDC could be converted to club cars and some of the LAR/sitters to Twinettes, a pair of reasonable long distance sets could still be put together. There's also 4 unpowered trailers from the perenially under-used ICE sets (and another 8 non-cab cars) that could help too - so it should be possible to continue running some traditional loco hauled trains with the surviving stainless steel cars...if QR wants to.
Nickel Plate High Speed Service
And them some... for thinly veiled reference to crew cars :evil
[Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=61026]

*Is motorail really that popular these days? most people nowadays hire car at the other end ....really no point of taking your own car when you could "road test" brand new cars off the shelve from Avis/Hertz etc.

*I don't see whats the issue with retention toilet, this year I went to Canada twice,VIA rail don't use retention toilet at all..yet their trains go right through world heritage listed parks.

*Funny I found most are negative about this plan, especially Courier Mail, I see this plan has potential to give NCR decend daily service.
12 months ago, the one way Motor Rail price ex Townsville jumped from $165 to $250 ($500 return ). I wonder if this increase and maybe more to come was deliberate to dissuade pax from using the service, and then justifying low take-up rates by removing the service in preparation for a Motor Rail free CTT/ New Sunlander. In my case I was a regular user of the Motor Rail till the latest increase and have since found renting from a hire car service adjacent to Roma Street for 10 days was cheaper than the MR..
Driving D17 122 for the last time on 175 down in Feb 1967 at Buranda before she was scrapped.
Hi,
Yeah I'm a bit surprised by the level of negativity in this too. Motorrail, could be right. How much is the subsidy? Mind you GSR probably doesn't provide a cross subsidy and they still carry cars. In RP someone did mention that alt side loading cars were made and trialled. This may have been a test for conversion to CTT trains. CTT technology does not prevent Motorrail cars.

Drop toilets, just a trains go retention, tracks go from manual gangs to automatic machines. Go figure. I don't work on the tracks so maybe best not to comment I don't see the issue. But I know my local station in India at moment (4 platforms, about 20-30 trains a day), I look at the concrete sleepers imbedded in concrete slabs with you know what all over the place, urgh. So maybe retention is a good thing.

The old cars had to go, fortunately the powers at be have not just bought a 3rd CTT set. But providing additional standard of accommodation and on board catering. Personally this level of outlay amazes me. They could have bought a 3rd CTT as is and left it at that. Some would have bitched and moaned but most would see the reality check. If you believe a lander/motel on wheels is the way to go, start a business.

Westie and Inlander, no surprises is there. Westie's future has been hotley debated on the rail forums for about 10 years now. The biggest thing is that the locals will be the loudest to complain and yet least likely to use. However I live in expectation that a further Qld govt announcement will follow that will see Westie converted to DMU to Roma, running 3 x week day only. Inlander not so sure, really too long for daylight run on those tracks. An improved bus service maybe.

Regards
Shane

Quote:someone did mention that alt side loading cars were made and trialled
There was a photo of the side loading car carrier in one of the railway mags, the photo was taken in Charleville at the station, they were loading/unloading a QR holden crewman ute off the platform into the wagon, it had one big lift up door on the side.
[Image: bike-1.gif]
(30-Oct-2010, 07:25 PM)Coyote Wrote:
There was a photo of the side loading car carrier in one of the railway mags, the photo was taken in Charleville at the station, they were loading/unloading a QR holden crewman ute off the platform into the wagon, it had one big lift up door on the side.

And I have myself posted a picture of this very vehicle on the Sunlander at Roma Street, as it was unloading my daughters car during a trip a year or two back. I must see if I can find it.

[Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=61026]

(30-Oct-2010, 10:59 PM)Mick Wrote:
(30-Oct-2010, 07:25 PM)Coyote Wrote:

And I have myself posted a picture of this very vehicle on the Sunlander at Roma Street, as it was unloading my daughters car during a trip a year or two back. I must see if I can find it.
Good Luck. Confusedmiley
[Image: bike-1.gif]
I'm fairly certain I have a pic of it too, at Wright's Creek. It may be on the QRIG Gallery, but it was broken when I tried to look for it. Other than that it will be at home. Currently I'm a long way from home, enjoying relaxing at the coast...
Graham R - Dalby Qld
Any opinions expressed here are my own and not those of any group or organisation I am associated with.
Member Southern Downs Steam Railway | ARHS Qld