Victorian Election 2010
I'm not going to bother with the long winded crud here. This will just give the dot points of Rail/Public Transport pork barrelling offered in the election. If you hear of anything I miss, please comment so it can be added to the list.
"How long will the next train be? Six cars would be my guess."
Election Promises:
Where "Me Too" is written, a party has said they will also do the project. This list is for projects that haven't started yet. Things like the Regional Rail Link and new platforms have already been started.
  • Airport Rail Link (Lib)
  • Me Too! (ALP)
  • Mernda Busway (ALP)
  • Flinders Street Station redesign (Lib)
  • Ringwood Station rebuild (Lib)
  • Return W classs trams to revenue service (Lib)
  • State run public transport (Greens)
  • Balaclava Station Redevelopment (ALP)
  • Funding for planning of viability of proposed Doncaster heavy rail (Lib)
  • $24.5m for Glen Waverley multi deck car park. (ALP)
  • $3.5m for Blackburn lifts and access. (ALP)
  • Doncaster line construction (Greens)
  • Duplication of Heidelberg to Rosanna, Greensborough to Eltham, Mooroolbark to Lilydale, and Ferntree Gully to Upper Ferntree Gully (Greens)
  • Rt.48 tram extension to Doncaster (Greens)
  • Rt.75 tram extension to Knox (Greens)
  • Upgraded Smartbuses in Eastern suburbs (Greens)
  • Twelve additional stations on metro rail system (Greens)
  • Rowville rail line branching off at Huntingdale (Greens)

Where is Mernda, and why busway? Then again, how much for a few k's of rail to South Morang?
[Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=61026]

Mernda is the next station along the line from South Morang, heading out to Whittlesea. Realistically the whole line needs to be built. But given the cost of about $125m per kilometre of the South Morang section, we would be looking around $2billion to go the full 16km.
Did the Liberals really announce the airport rail link? I knew that they'd announced the Flinders Street Station new design competition. I heard about a Ringwood Station refurbishment. They have committed to returning the W class trams to revenue service. They're increasing numbers of police and CFA officers. Mostly, the Liberal Party are committing to opposing Labor / reversing their changes rather than doing new stuff.

What was the announcement on Federation Square East? I can't find anything in writing.

An interesting facet of this election is that the Government feels that they don't need to take a care-taker role. They're not making policy announcements so much as starting work. The Commonwealth Government is expected not to make major decisions once the Prime Minister announces that he's asked the Governor General to dissolve Parliament. Fixed term elections have meant that there's no ceremony in which the Premier announces that he's asked the Governor to dissolve Parliament.
(28-Oct-2010, 03:08 PM)Chicken Fish Wrote: I'm not going to bother with the long winded crud here. This will just give the dot points of Rail/Public Transport pork barrelling offered in the election. If you hear of anything I miss, please comment so it can be added to the list.

G'day Chicken Fish,
Vicrail News says the Metro contract will be scrapped if the Greens win either a minority or a majority.

Cheers,
Ben
(29-Oct-2010, 08:40 PM)4001firstdiesel Wrote: G'day Chicken Fish,
Vicrail News says the Metro contract will be scrapped if the Greens win either a minority or a majority.

Cheers,
Ben

That so far is just another worthless bleat from Roder"hick" Boozy Smith. Not something, nor someone, I will waste any time repeating.

(28-Oct-2010, 08:51 PM)Speed Wrote: Did the Liberals really announce the airport rail link?

What was the announcement on Federation Square East? I can't find anything in writing.

It was announced, but sort of quietly. When Labor announced they would be matching the announcement, all the committed to was looking into it possibly happening at some point in time.

Federation Square East I would hardly call a railway project. It does nothing to enhance the network, and if the current Fed Sqr is anything to go by, it will reduce the network.
I wouldn't say that Roderick Smith alone was saying that the Greens wanted to control public transport.
  • Fairfax and Murdoch papers alike have said that the Greens will insist on the Transport Ministry before giving support to a minority government. The Greens are opposed to retaining Melbourne's existing public transport, with its operations (and much maintenance) outsourced to private enterprise.
  • Greg Barber has said that the Greens would not renew MetroTrains or Keolis' contract in 2017.
  • Other Greens candidates have reportedly said that they'd, if possible, use failure to meet service targets as grounds to end the contracts sooner, replacing private operators with a collection of statutory corporations.
http://melbourne-leader.whereilive.com.a...-richmond/

Quote:The Victorian Greens have unveiled a plan to scrap the "failed" private operation of Melbourne's transport network and put it back into public hands.
The private operator's very inefficient," Greens MP Greg Barber told reporters. "You're going to have to bring in some people from other parts of Australia and from around the world who know how to run a system."
http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-...1775u.html

Just to set the record straight, at the time the only proof of the Greens wanting the government to control public transport was Roder"hick". If Roder"hick" was on fire (quite possible given how pickled with alcohol the fool is) I wouldn't even piss on him. My dislike of the tool goes back for many years, and has included him threatening me with legal action, and him verbally abusing my children for being near a tram on public display, because they were in the way of his photo. For anyone here who reads the TDU and VRN news groups, you will all be well aware of his antics. As my grandfather use to say, empty vessels make the loudest noise.

Back to the election stuff, thanks everyone for taking an interest in the thread, and posting additional information. The Greens plan sounds like a good one, and at least then we would know who is in charge, unlike the current buck passing that goes on.