Victorian Election 2010
I think NSW people are in deep shit, more deep shit than Queenslanders. None of the parties, including Greens wanting to do anything with the state.

Queensland at least will get nice flashy new tilt train with sleepers, and lower tax.

G'day Chicken Fish

(30-Oct-2010, 03:31 PM)Chicken Fish Wrote: For anyone here who reads the TDU and VRN news groups, you will all be well aware of his antics. As my grandfather use to say, empty vessels make the loudest noise.

I read both groups, and can agree with your post. It makes me wonder about this hobby at times! The recent 'Ignored Posts' topic is one reason why.

On the NSW/QLD Governments', Anna Bligh's primary vote was 29% (last I heard). Kristina's was 32%. Before the last Federal poll.

Cheers,
Ben
(08-Nov-2010, 06:24 PM)4001firstdiesel Wrote: Hi Chicken Fish/all
I've also read on Vicrail news that Mulder will kill:o:idiot Melbourne's trams!!!! This was posted by Paul Nicholson.

Cheers,
Ben
Ps. What's up with RailSA?

Hi Ben,
Maybe you should have kept reading the thread. Yes, while it is possible Mulder would kill off the trams, things need to be looked at in perspective.

It would cost the government millions if they cancelled the order for 50 new trams.
The disruptions to tear up the tram tracks would have people howling in the streets.
The loss of a Melbourne icon would have people howling in the streets.
The "green" vote would be lost for a few generations at least.
It would take a couple of years for them to have enough buses to start replacing the trams, just long enough to vote Mulder out again.

Putting it simply, while many people in Melbourne want to be rid of the trams, unfortunately they are here to stay, and to stay for a long time to come. Besides, these people will be the first ones to want improvements to the tram fleet when petrol hits $5 a litre.

"How long will the next train be? Six cars would be my guess."
Still....QLD resident will get good infrastructure, lower tax and nice new tilt trains even if Anna Bligh gets vote out, NSW will get nothing , nothing impressive on rail, NSWish will only see higher regardless of who is in charge.

Ideally you want Victorian style politics, both sides are equally good , at the end of the day it's the Victorian wins.

Commuter anger set to pay off at Victorian election

Everything from a high-speed airport link to extra carparks at local station have been promised in the coming state election.
COMMUTER anger over late and overcrowded trains is about to pay off at the ballot box. Billions of dollars are poised to be poured into public transport after this month's election, no matter who wins. Everything from a high-speed airport link to extra carparks at local stations have been promised.

Public Transport Users Association said overcrowding and system failures made Victorians realise how important the issue was.
"So far neither side has articulated a vision for a seamless, effective, frequent public transport network across Melbourne," PTUA president Daniel Bowen said.

"The lack of proper funding and planning over decades has left us with a system that is straining under the pressure of a growing population. We've got packed trains, slow trams and infrequent buses and, as a result, chronic traffic congestion." The major challenge for the Government has been dealing with an issue on many fronts: late trains, overcrowding, myki, crumbling infrastructure and security.

Greater use of public transport has seen commuters become more demanding - they're demanding more off-peak runs and better services to the outer suburbs. Opposition transport spokesman Terry Mulder said Labor did not deserve to be judged on its election promises. "It really is about what they have done in the past," Mr Mulder said. "In the area of public transport the Government has failed dismally." Mr Mulder foreshadowed a suite of visionary projects while addressing immediate problems, including violence on the train network. The Coalition has already promised to recruit 940 Victoria Police protective services officers who will guard railway stations from 6pm.

Public Transport Minister Martin Pakula said the tide had been turned. "We recognise there are still challenges to tackle," Mr Pakula said. "But throughout 2010 we've seen reliability and punctuality improve, and overcrowding on rail services reduced as more services have been introduced." Mr Pakula said $10 billion worth of projects from the Government's $38 billion Victorian Transport Plan were already in progress. The Greens are also campaigning hard on public transport, not just in their strongholds, but also in the suburbs. Yesterday, the party revealed plans to turn Sunshine station into a major retail and residential development.
(09-Nov-2010, 04:59 PM)Chicken Fish Wrote:
(08-Nov-2010, 06:24 PM)4001firstdiesel Wrote: Hi Chicken Fish/all
I've also read on Vicrail news that Mulder will kill:o:idiot Melbourne's trams!!!! This was posted by Paul Nicholson.

Cheers,
Ben
Ps. What's up with RailSA?

Hi Ben,
Maybe you should have kept reading the thread. Yes, while it is possible Mulder would kill off the trams, things need to be looked at in perspective.

It would cost the government millions if they cancelled the order for 50 new trams.
The disruptions to tear up the tram tracks would have people howling in the streets.
The loss of a Melbourne icon would have people howling in the streets.
The "green" vote would be lost for a few generations at least.
It would take a couple of years for them to have enough buses to start replacing the trams, just long enough to vote Mulder out again.

Putting it simply, while many people in Melbourne want to be rid of the trams, unfortunately they are here to stay, and to stay for a long time to come. Besides, these people will be the first ones to want improvements to the tram fleet when petrol hits $5 a litre.

Hi Chicken Fish,
Thanks for that. I'll go and have a look.

Cheers,
Ben

The Premier and Transport Minister have made lots of announcements at the Bombadier plant:
  • more staff and police for security
  • grade separation of the Main Road level crossing in St Albans
  • $6.3 million to refurbish W class trams for the City Circle
  • more station staff to assist passengers on and off trains, to improve punctuality and to assist people if an incident occurs
  • more station parking
  • more Vlocities
  • 20 minute off-peak frequencies on the Geelong line
  • new bike cages at stations
  • South Morang to Mernda Busway
  • refurbishment of Balaclava
G'day Chicken Fish/all
I'm curious if anyone's proposed a tramline to the airport?

Cheers,
Ben
ALP=no but if Federal government wants to build high speed rail, they want to incorporate it into airport rail

Lib=commit for a study
(10-Nov-2010, 09:45 PM)4001firstdiesel Wrote: G'day Chicken Fish/all
I'm curious if anyone's proposed a tramline to the airport?

Cheers,
Ben

Greens have proposed going almost to the Airport. Issue is getting the land to take it all the way into the terminus. Realistically the only way would be to go underground, adding to the costs. Then there is the issue of time to get from Airport to the City. No capacity to run express trams, so journey times could easily exceed 90mins in peak times. Hardly a fast and efficient service. While it would be good for locals along the route, it is hardly a great way to travel.

Mind you, I have used the route bus to Airport West, and then got the tram. I try to time my flights to make use of this service when possible, but only because it is free travel.