[ABC] Rail closures signal maintenance 'failure'
Rail closures signal maintenance 'failure'

By Ewan Leighton

November 2, 2010

The Queensland Opposition says the State Government's planned rail line closures for track work are a clear indication of its poor maintenance record.

The State Government has detailed plans to close one rail line in south-east Queensland every second weekend for track work, beginning in January.

Opposition transport spokeswoman and the Member for Maroochydore, Fiona Simpson, says the closures are an attempt by the Government to clear its maintenance backlog.

"This is an indictment on their maintenance schedule and what is coming through is they've had so many ad hoc, unplanned closures due to maintenance failure. There's a backlog and this is a desperate way to try to claw back the backlog against maintenance," she said.
Graham R - Dalby Qld
Any opinions expressed here are my own and not those of any group or organisation I am associated with.
Member Southern Downs Steam Railway | ARHS Qld
You would love to be a TPC down there...
Sainty
Guard - St Lawrence

A proud supporter of 3 Man Crew Trains and Rules 229 / 442

A lover of Queensland Railways English Electric Locomotives

Has a passion for Staff and Ticket Working and Electric Staff Working
When else are they supposed to do it?
Cheers,
PB75.

"Thanks Control, Driver out..."
(03-Nov-2010, 09:30 PM)pb75 Wrote: When else are they supposed to do it?

Common sense, the media and politicians are not compatible... Wink
Graham R - Dalby Qld
Any opinions expressed here are my own and not those of any group or organisation I am associated with.
Member Southern Downs Steam Railway | ARHS Qld
Pretty standard practice elsewhere in the country too.
[Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=61026]

Because every one else does it doesn't mean you have to also.

The incovenience of these closedowns is often unimaginable.

Here in Sydney when there is a closedown of the Central Coast line over a holiday weekend it can take an express replacement bus 6 to 8 hours to cover the 100 miles form Newcastle to Sydney. Freeway traffic jams. The stopping buses take even longer.

Late evening closedowns on the city undergrouond have been routine for over 20 years. To travel from Circular Quay to Wynyard (1 station) can take up to half an hour because you need to go via Central travelling in the opposite direction. Then there are the dangers of bus drivers not knowing the route, getting lost, running red lights, missing stops.

This closedown trend started nearly 30 years ago on the New York subway. Everyone is now copying it.

I have suffered personal inconvenience all over the world. New York, London, Sydney, Melbourne, San Francisco is enough for starters.
It took a team of professionals to build the Titanic and a lone amateur to build the Ark
I blame recent safety initiatives. So much productive time is lost that it probably takes a whole weekend do what used to take a few hours. Or perhaps I am being cynical. Anyway, the local public transport advocates have given the scheme the nod:

Rail Back on Track (QLD PT advocacy group) Wrote:"Clarification by Queensland Rail has now confirmed that a closure for a particular rail corridor will be essentially a full weekend and this then allows intensive maintenance activities in one hit, rather than being spaced out with closures of smaller duration. This makes sense as start up and start up times for the maintenance activities become a smaller part of the overall maintenance window period, and hence this makes the shut down more productive in terms of the maintenance outcomes and cost."

"Having in place a more systematic approach to line maintenance means that closures will be notified well in advance and publicly, at least two years. This allows community event organisers to plan well in advance so that they can choose to avoid a track closure weekend as applicable for their activity and location. Construction closures do need occur more frequently and those will be notified as soon as practical in advance. If a clash with a significant event is absolutely unavoidable extra support will be provided as needed."

Read the entire article here:

http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=4755.0
[Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=61026]

Quote:Then there are the dangers of bus drivers not knowing the route, getting lost, running red lights, missing stops.
Had that the last time I was in NSW, taking the XPT from Sydney to Brisbane, there was track closure on the North Coast Line which meant we got the bus from Central to Taree, one bloke was driving and the other riding shotgun reading the street directory giving directions, still got loss in Taree, the drivers comment was "well folks that is the train over there, all we have to do now is find out where the enterance is to the station is", lucky there was a local on board to point them in the right direction. This may be why I am giving the XPT a miss next year and flying Sydney to Brisbane. Wink
[Image: bike-1.gif]