Mackay Sugar Vacancies
A few weeks ago, Mackay Sugar advertised for seasonal workers to work within the mill and also called for Drivers Assistants on the Locos.

As a matter of interest, I threw in an expression of interest for a Traffic Officer (Train Controller and Scheduler) and I received a phone call today for an interview. You just gotta love TOTools ......

Sainty
Guard - St Lawrence

A proud supporter of 3 Man Crew Trains and Rules 229 / 442

A lover of Queensland Railways English Electric Locomotives

Has a passion for Staff and Ticket Working and Electric Staff Working
Sainty ol' mate, you seem to love job hopping... :evil
Graham R - Dalby Qld
Any opinions expressed here are my own and not those of any group or organisation I am associated with.
Member Southern Downs Steam Railway | ARHS Qld
(21-Mar-2012, 02:57 PM)Graham4405 Wrote: Sainty ol' mate, you seem to love job hopping... :evil

Always like to keep my options open ol mate ........ Thus far in my working career Traffic Officer was the most enjoyable, demanding and satisfying position that I have held. I am sure EMBaldwin could confirm, a Traffic Officer was a demanding position. Calculating Zero Hour, directing cane railway movement around the network and last but not least keeping those bloody train crew honest. I know of a certain Driver at Macknade Mill in Ingham, who would do anything for overtime. Sainty to smart for Trucker .... Sainty would send a crew out to relieve Trucker and have him back in the depot before his 8 hours ..... :biggrin
Sainty
Guard - St Lawrence

Not too hard to outsmart Trucker Smile
Out of my mind. Back in 5 minutes.
Whats the goss on drivers jobs for other mills Sainty? Heard anything?
"You have enemies? Good! That means that you have stood up for something you believe in, at some time in your life....."
(22-Mar-2012, 12:15 AM)Rolls Royce Wrote: Whats the goss on drivers jobs for other mills Sainty? Heard anything?

Drivers positions are usually stiched up ol mate by regular seasonal / permanent employees. I noticed when working in Ingham there is a definate seniority in regards to Drivers Assistants to Drivers transition.

Was somewhat different for the Traffic Officer positions, here a Drivers Assistant commenced at the begining of the 2008 season, and 3 months into the season, I found myself sitting in the Traffic Officer position in training for the remainder of the season. From Level 2 to Level 7 once qualified as a Traffic Officer, jumping over the Drivers who were on Level 5 (Permanent Employees) from memory .....
Sainty
Guard - St Lawrence

Because nobody in their right mind wants to do traffic unless they are REALLY chasing a permanent spot, since driver is any guarantee for permanency any more.

The reason Trucker became a driver is because of seniority. Several tried to stop him because they knew he wasn't really driver material, but rules stated he was next in line. Same seniority is used (for both drivers and d/a's) in determining which seasonal worker returns to work first for any slack season maintenance work.

Roller - I know the Herbert region was short of d/a's last season, and I have actually heard of a few times where someone qualified as a driver at one mill has transferred straight in to another mill as a driver.
Out of my mind. Back in 5 minutes.
(22-Mar-2012, 10:32 AM)EMBaldwin Wrote: Because nobody in their right mind wants to do traffic unless they are REALLY chasing a permanent spot, since driver is any guarantee for permanency any more.

The reason Trucker became a driver is because of seniority. Several tried to stop him because they knew he wasn't really driver material, but rules stated he was next in line. Same seniority is used (for both drivers and d/a's) in determining which seasonal worker returns to work first for any slack season maintenance work.

Roller - I know the Herbert region was short of d/a's last season, and I have actually heard of a few times where someone qualified as a driver at one mill has transferred straight in to another mill as a driver.

Come on mate Traffic not that bad .....ConfusedmittenConfusedmitten it is only worse when you have the likes of Jardo .... coming out every 5 minutes and changing his mind on what he wanted to go first :idiot
Sainty
Guard - St Lawrence

What does it take to be a driver?

I got a Pommy gunzel friend whos keen on move out of Sydney and become a sugar train driver, (note, not OZ citizen but has working visa) any where he can get training ? and if Mackay sugar takes non citizen?
Im pleasantly surprised to hear that EMB and Sainty. I was wondering whether the driver shortage had hit the cane industry like it had the mainline gig. But evidently not.

I do know of a possibly good applicant who may be interested in the DA work in the Burdekin area...

Thanks for the replies Smile
"You have enemies? Good! That means that you have stood up for something you believe in, at some time in your life....."