Cattle train
Hi all,

Long time no post, no issue with the forum, just been lazy!
Anyway, I was wondering

*Anyone got the schedule for cattle train?

*Where in Central/Northern QLD they depart from?

*And do they still get subsidy from QLD government?

CHeers
SG
Standard;

At this point in time the CQ trains are running to Brisbane arriving Monday and Saturday and possibly Wednesday as 65C4/ 6xC3. When/ if the northern trains start running to Bris again as 65N0/ 62Nx they usually arrive on Tuesday and Friday; however I don't think there is any hard and fast rule....

Sainty may be able to update you but by the sounds of it the Northern district cattletrains to Rocky meatworks are running again.

Have not got a clue about southern district trains, but they are probably due to start soon. I think they were once or twice a week last season....

Give me a yell if you need some times...
(18-Mar-2012, 06:34 PM)Rocket Rodney Wrote: Standard;

At this point in time the CQ trains are running to Brisbane arriving Monday and Saturday and possibly Wednesday as 65C4/ 6xC3. When/ if the northern trains start running to Bris again as 65N0/ 62Nx they usually arrive on Tuesday and Friday; however I don't think there is any hard and fast rule....

Sainty may be able to update you but by the sounds of it the Northern district cattletrains to Rocky meatworks are running again.

Have not got a clue about southern district trains, but they are probably due to start soon. I think they were once or twice a week last season....

63N4 from the Creek (Julia Creek) bound for Lakes Creek on the Yeppoon Branch Line. Last week I seen the 20 empty wagons from 63N4 return on 273 marshalled on the rear.

63N4 usually runs on a Friday ex Partington, maybe every second week from memory, but would depart the Creek sometime on the Thursday. Of late 63N4 has been running with a single Clyde 2190D, a few weeks ago a single Clyde was hauling 45 loaded.
Sainty
Guard - St Lawrence

A proud supporter of 3 Man Crew Trains and Rules 229 / 442

A lover of Queensland Railways English Electric Locomotives

Has a passion for Staff and Ticket Working and Electric Staff Working
Northern cattle are loaded at Julia Creek and possibly still Cloncurry...all other loading points on the GNR appear to be closed or inactive these days. The Julago spelling yards just south of Partington on the NCL are still used, but they don't generate additional traffic. Not sure about the subsidy...but the cattle industry has been complaining about sharply increasing freight charges and reduced services - inspite of demand - for a few years now, so if there is a subsidy in place its not enough to keep QRN interested in this now 'non core' business.
Nickel Plate High Speed Service
(18-Mar-2012, 06:34 PM)Rocket Rodney Wrote: Standard;

Very close, not much cattle around these days:

1. 65C4 ex Clermont arr Brisbane Mon and Sat.
2. 65C2 ex Winton arr Brisbane Wed (might not run for a long time due to the Darr River bridge damage).
3. 65N0 ex Townsville arr Brisbane Fri (very rarely will run on Tue as well).
Thanks for the info, cattle train runs all year round right? I am looking a visit on a weekend in April or May, by the looks of the schedule they all heading into Brisbane, in that case I'll be looking at arrive Brisbane on a Friday and leaving Sunday

Anyone got time for ,say the first 3 Fri and Saturdays of April? (msg me if you want)
Northern cattle trains traditionally don't run during the wet season...railings usually begin in March and run through to November (or thereabouts)...but that shouldn't be a problem for your plans.
Nickel Plate High Speed Service
I worked in the meat industry in Queensland for 20 years in one capacity or another. The meat industry as a whole is traditionally quiet though the summer months, not sure exactly what effect that has on trains though. Certainly not much happens over the Christmas - New Year period as meatworks are closed.
Graham R - Dalby Qld
Any opinions expressed here are my own and not those of any group or organisation I am associated with.
Member Southern Downs Steam Railway | ARHS Qld
(19-Mar-2012, 06:38 AM)Sulla Wrote: Northern cattle are loaded at Julia Creek and possibly still Cloncurry...all other loading points on the GNR appear to be closed or inactive these days. The Julago spelling yards just south of Partington on the NCL are still used, but they don't generate additional traffic. Not sure about the subsidy...but the cattle industry has been complaining about sharply increasing freight charges and reduced services - inspite of demand - for a few years now, so if there is a subsidy in place its not enough to keep QRN interested in this now 'non core' business.

What about Bororen and Bajool? Do they still get used?
Take your photos today as tommorrow may be too late - whatever it may be
(23-Mar-2012, 05:58 PM)Danielle Wrote: What about Bororen and Bajool? Do they still get used?

As far as I know there's very little (if any) spelling at Julago, Bajool or Bororen any more. The loading points and train services have been tailored to avoid the extra expenses of unloading, feeding and watering, re-loading and effectively running two trains.

Trains can now run from Julia Creek to Lakes Creek and Winton and Clermont to Dinmore in one movement. I suspect this is why we don't see many (any?) cattle loaded at Julia Creek and then processed at Dinmore. If they were going to be sent to Dinmore they would have to be spelled at Julago, and that just doesn't seem to happen any more.