Campbell Newman's rail transport policy?
Before anyone jump the gun, just want to say:

I don't live in QLD and I don't want this thread to become an argument/fight/flame thread, I only want to ask a simple question because looks like Campbell will become the new premier.

Whats Campbell's rail transport policy?

Sell it Big Grin
He has basically said he would sell the remaining parts of QR because it is fooked the way it is. He wants to get 15 min all day frequency on the Ferny Grove line as a trial, with it expanding to other lines if successful, and to re evaluate alternatives to the cross river rail project as they believe there may be cheaper, yet same result options.

I'm still voting LNP saturday.
Resident photography advisor.
Im not entirely sure Newman will be the new premier if he struggles to win the seat in his own electorate, which from my view, looks like it will be a tough contest.

My opinion for whats its worth, is that I think youd find that the remaining parts of QR National will be sold off regardless of whether LNP or Labor win.

Neither the LNP, Labor or to date, KAP (so far as I am aware), have any plans of substance to do anything about rail outside of the Brisbane metro area or the coalfields. Happy to be guided otherwise, however so far thats my take on it.

With that being said, serious $ need to be injected into massive infrastructure projects to add value to the NCL and the Mt Isa line. Our freight network is hideously strangled by insufficient capacity, frequent weak points (some parts of the NCL only need a driver to throw their cold tea remains out the window and they flood, creating a closure and substantially delays).

Personally, I think the NCL needs to be double tracked all the way to Townsville, with a lot of alignment straightening work as well, before we can truly say we have a long term, sustainable and efficient rail freight / passenger network. The Mt Isa corridor could do with some more crossing loops, and an increased maintenance regime to better manage some of the long standing TSR's that seem to be a little too plentiful, and far too long in repairing.

However, goverments in this state seem to have a tendancy to bolster the road networks, as clearly, more revenue is generated through road transport economies. Until this type of thinking shifts, I cant see any of these current parties making any significant improvements overall.

If we always do what weve always done, we always get what weve always got.
"You have enemies? Good! That means that you have stood up for something you believe in, at some time in your life....."
(22-Mar-2012, 09:21 PM)guss Wrote: He has basically said he would sell the remaining parts of QR because it is fooked the way it is. He wants to get 15 min all day frequency on the Ferny Grove line as a trial, with it expanding to other lines if successful, and to re evaluate alternatives to the cross river rail project as they believe there may be cheaper, yet same result options.

I'm still voting LNP saturday.

Brisbane really needs 10 mins frequency, Perth is smaller and they got 10 mins frequency, most Melbourne lines will be 10 minutely in a few weeks time.
Newman, like O'Farrell in New South Wales last year or Howard in 1996 hasn't approached the election with the expectation that he needed policies. He just needed to make it clear that he wasn't the incumbent government.

Katter's Australian Party made a policy of cancelling the Cross River project and spending the money on rural projects. The LNP made a policy of reviewing them. Whether it will go the way of Victoria's RRL (reviewed and proceeding) or the way of New South Wales' Epping-Parramatta line (resolutely cancelled and still squabbling with the Commonwealth), is yet to be seen.

At least, they won't have a Go Card review.
"I know politicians are gonna be judged on everything they say, but sometimes, in the heat of discussion, you go a little bit further ... which is one of the reasons why the statements that need to be taken ... as gospel truth is those carefully prepared scripted remarks." Tony Abbott
All I have heard definitely so far is that Labors annual fare increase of 15% next year will be now 7.5% ( still double inflation ), and that Cross River Link on hold to try to find a cheaper way, plus what 'standard_gauge' said above re Ferny Grove line..
Driving D17 122 for the last time on 175 down in Feb 1967 at Buranda before she was scrapped.
Agree with Speed on this, why promise too much when you don't need to. Promises if not followed up have a habit of coming back to bite you. Remember Howard's, "non-core" promises.

Barry in NSW said he would
- Start a rail service to Bathurst and looks like he will do it. If not sucessful, not his fault and leave to future govt to cancel.
- Build the NWRL and looks like he will do it. He wanted the Epp-Para link money, but IA says no deal its for Epp-Para. So now the Fed IA money is available but NSW is not interested. I suppose NSW can only do so much at once, but Barry is sticking to the electrol promise.
- Barry also said he would have inquiry to the Mu'll'bah line and he's doing it.

So for Qld, Newman will follow Barry and ensure electrol promises are implemented
- CRR was never a real election issue for 2012. Even Labor said it won't be built until post 2015 and left it at that and LNP never argued the project only the cost and practical affordability. Newman said he would look at cheaper alt's even if they are stop gaps, but as election went on, he appeared to soften up a bit probably realising the cheaper alt's are not that cheap and IA funding is more than likely going to be available. While looking very positive, IA final funding decision is still pending. Personally I expect CRR to be given the go ahead by feds and later Newman, perhaps making it a 2015 electrol commitment on the back of his balanced budget.

- Newman's said he'd sell rest of QRN and this was a no brainer. There is no other pratical choice. He cannot "nationalise" it or even afford the thourght of doing so, retaining current state interest does not help the unions in their push to remain public servants and benefits that with it and do you think LNP or anyone with half a brain would entertain this excuse to "nationalise". The shares have gone up 40% in value, so cash in on this and retire further debt and the interest payments that go with it. Which is what he said he would do.

- 15min timetable for FG as a 2 year trial. Well thought out here. If sucessful then goes to 2015 election campaign with more 15min services. If not (unlikely), wait until after campaign and quietly cancel or roll back. Perth may have 10min, but the system is overall much newer than Qld and Qld still has the 2 staff hangup and added cost. Get 15min on most lines and you get 7.5min on most inner section stations.

regards
Shane

I would imagine 15min services would see more 3 car sets initially till more are built. Amazingly here on my line, the Cleveland line, there are numerous under utilized 6 car sets, some with 5 cars blocked off at night.
Driving D17 122 for the last time on 175 down in Feb 1967 at Buranda before she was scrapped.
(08-Apr-2012, 06:54 PM)D17 No.122 Wrote: I would imagine 15min services would see more 3 car sets initially till more are built. Amazingly here on my line, the Cleveland line, there are numerous under utilized 6 car sets, some with 5 cars blocked off at night.

Yeah for some reason it seems to cost too much money to unhook 3 cars than drag around an empty set for 5-6hrs.

But no, FG will not required 3 car sets as the 15min timetable is a commitment for Off-peak and shoulder periods only. So there will be spare sets. So as others have said the trains are there, the costs are purely operational and in some cases probably not as much as we think as as far as I know there are no part-time train drivers/guards in QR CT, so what do they do outside peak?

Think about it, peak flows start around 6am, later on FG and finish around 9:30am by which time I assume most extra peak trains are parked up. So allowing for morning breifing, checks etc 4-5hr work. I suppose some start early for first trains of the day and finish just after peak, and likewise start a bit later and go through to lunch + training etc.

Regards
Shane