V.R.Diesel question(historical,now!)
Regarding the smoke haze, does some of this not have something to do with air pressure, especially in colder climes? I seem to recall as a young fella being educated on the smoke running sideways out of household chimneys in Stanthorpe, mid winter, with not one bit of breeze about.....and that of the small "smog" that seemed to be over certain parts of Toowoomba's hollows in the 70's on account (largely) because of those old Kero heaters?

On the matter of the lengthy idling, whilst I have no set opinion on the topic, I do understand that large bus fleets often found that keeping an engine warm (through use) did seem to extend engine life, and limit the amount of operational issues whilst in service. These same vehicles once passed into private ownership, usually found themselves on am and pm scholl run work, shut down over weekends and shut down more than running - and then the bugs start creeping in.

Just a thought or two Smile
"You have enemies? Good! That means that you have stood up for something you believe in, at some time in your life....."
Hot air raises and cold air sinks. Wink Smile
[Image: bike-1.gif]
(15-Jul-2013, 08:15 PM)Coyote Wrote: Hot air raises and cold air sinks. Wink Smile
I think they call it Temperature Inversion.
(14-Jul-2013, 11:04 AM)Alan Parker Wrote: Back in the 1960`s I lived in Melbourne & worked for Ansett-A.N.A.
A good friend of mine,the late Norm De Pomeroy a legendary driver,occasionally took me with him to South Dynon Loco Depot where there were dozens & dozens of locos stabled.
These locos when not needed for some hours or the whole weekend were all left idling-day & night.
Can someone tell me why they were not ever shut down?
Thanks,Alan.

In those days one of the reasons was if a Clyde loco was shut down in excess of 12 hours, before you started it you were suppose too perform a water accumulation test(physically hand 'barring over' the motor) to see if there was any liquid had form in the combustion chamber from either heavy condensation or water leaking in from the cooling system. As they say you can compress gas but you cannot compress a liquid. If there was water in the combustion chamber and you hit the starter button there was enough power from starter motor to bend a Conrod.

Barring over was a cow of a job to do on narrow body Clyde's, it would have been an absolute nightmare on full body Clyde's such as the VR S and B, SRA 42/421 and CR GM class locomotives.

A running motor also didn't allow water to enter the exhaust system which sat on top of the engine if and when there was heavy rain.

A running motor turns an air compressor which supplies air to the locomotive brakes. While the motor is running you know that the loco is not going to run away anywhere.

An about all, as someone else highlighted earlier, in those days diesel fuel was dirt cheap and it was never going to run out!!!