Recent Lac-Magentic derailment, Quebec Canada
[size=medium Have attached a news item written up in a Canadian newspaper and sent over to me by my mate on Vancouver Island.

The report has been compiled as a supposition as to what may have happened at the time.

The report will have to be magnified a little to be able to read this !!!!, this report may not be able to be read, I have had to reduce this to less than 500 KB's to be able to attach.

[/size]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Well that was a waste of time, as I thought, when expanded, the story can't be read.
(11-Aug-2013, 06:15 PM)FredM Wrote: Well that was a waste of time, as I thought, when expanded, the story can't be read.

Try this one

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-tU9Q6yVGQcU/Ue...c-Blog.jpg
same thing mate!!, cannot be expanded to be readable, I could have attached the web address, but this is no longer active !!!!.
(12-Aug-2013, 10:16 AM)Wrigleys Wrote: Try this one

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-tU9Q6yVGQcU/Ue...c-Blog.jpg

Well worth the effort to display, thanks.
All legible, with just a little interpolation, when viewed (expanded) on the iPad.
Very interesting reading of what appears to be a carefully researched interpretation.
Time will tell as more comprehensive detail finally emerges through professional investigation.
[Image: F111RAAFweb2A.jpg]
I am waiting for more info from my mate on Vancouver Island, he has heard that there was more than crude oil amongst the tankers which would have caused the explosion.

I am not sure about the BlogSpot, I opened the address and all I got was a web page with the attachment I sent and nothing else, I thought this may have been a program to upload to, but then again, everyone knows what thought done !!!
I was under the impression that the oil tankers collided with propane tankers stored in a siding to cause the explosion. Typical 'BLEVE'.
[Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=61026]

Current opinion appears to be that the fraccing chemicals remaining within the crude made it more volatile. The US FRA and Canadian counterparts appear to be pursuing this idea, and now want fracced crude to be considered distinct in how it is handled and transported. Hard to say where this will all end up. Personally a more zealous application of handbrakes on the 1 in 100 grade might have helped (easy to say in hindsight I know). Is there any standard here for the number of handbrakes to be applied to a train being stowed on a grade?
Nickel Plate High Speed Service
MMA to close

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-14...er/4885380
Out of my mind. Back in 5 minutes.
(14-Aug-2013, 06:23 PM)Mick Wrote: I was under the impression that the oil tankers collided with propane tankers stored in a siding to cause the explosion. Typical 'BLEVE'.

G'day Mick:

If my attachment could have been attached at its full value of 3.5MB's, you would have been able to see what actually happened, and because I had to go below 500kb's to attach, that has stuffed the outcome of my thread