UK Trip - Railfan Report
Hello all,

Sometime back I promised the railfan trip report from our recent UK holiday.

This is part 1. I'll start with a trip on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway from Pickering to Whitby and return on the 8th August 2013.

Below is a promotional video for the NYMR:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEv6S6Iga5E

Our locos for the day were ex Hungarian National Railways Baldwin S160 No 6046 and ex LMS "Black Five" No 45428 "Eric Treacy". Also sighted was ex LNER A4 Pacific No 60007 "Sir Nigel Gresley".

The trip was very enjoyable both from the railfan perspective and the tourist perspective. Whitby is a nice seaside town to visit. We managed to do a short cruise during the time there as well as a light lunch on the beachfront.

As a traveller on the train photographic opportunities are extremely limited. I did manage a bit of video footage of shunting operations at Whitby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-6qhGy2AcM

Soon I will upload some still photos.
Graham R - Dalby Qld
Any opinions expressed here are my own and not those of any group or organisation I am associated with.
Member Southern Downs Steam Railway | ARHS Qld
My NYMR Photo Album

[Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=69562]
Graham R - Dalby Qld
Any opinions expressed here are my own and not those of any group or organisation I am associated with.
Part 2

A Visit to NRM York. Our visit was short due to our tight schedule. What can I say? Needs only one word really. Awesome...

NRM York Photo Album

[Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=69648]
Graham R - Dalby Qld
Part 3

After leaving NRM York as we were crossing York station, I noted red carriages in one platform and thought "I bet there is a steam loco on the front of that". Thus I hurried down to the platform to find LMS Royal Scot 46115 "Scots Guardsman" at the head of The Scarborough Spa Express. The train was about to leave, but I managed a few hurried shots...

[Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=69799]
Graham R - Dalby Qld
Part 4

Of course no visit to Scotland would be complete without a trip on The Jacobite, Fort William to Mallaig and return. Our locomotive for the trip was LMS Black 5 45407 "The Lancashire Fusilier". A very enjoyable, scenic trip.

Lunch in Mallaig was partaken at The Chlachain Inn. If you like mussels, I highly recommend the Mussels with Bacon and Brie. Unless you are *really* hungry (or want to share a pot) get the small serve. My small serve consisted of approx 32 mussels in the shell. This was washed down with a half pint of The Orkney Brewery's Dark Island, an interesting drop to say the least

Photo Album

[Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=69816]
Graham R - Dalby Qld
Thanks Graham! That LMS Black 5 45407 was built at the same place as several QR steamers.
Obsolete Australian railway historical downloadable document list
(28-Oct-2013, 07:18 PM)Petan Wrote: Thanks Graham! That LMS Black 5 45407 was built at the same place as several QR steamers.

That fact hadn't escaped my notice! Confusedmiley
Graham R - Dalby Qld
(28-Oct-2013, 10:05 PM)Graham4405 Wrote:
(28-Oct-2013, 07:18 PM)Petan Wrote: Thanks Graham! That LMS Black 5 45407 was built at the same place as several QR steamers.

That fact hadn't escaped my notice! Confusedmiley

Peter and Graham,
Several being 35.

A little piece of trivia:

When Roger Chivers who lives in Preston, U.K. produced a kit for these locomotives he had one on display at a model railway show in that area.
An elderly man approached him and said "I remember working on building these locomotives."
Part 5

Now in Wales, we decided to see Snowdonia from the comfort of The Welsh Highland Railway. This surely has to be the best way to see Snowdonia? Our locomotive for the day was NGG16 143, an awesome little beast that put on a good show for us. Lunch was served on board, we chose the home made soup, and were not disappointed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2HjLm1MVto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iAKtZlq4BY

Photo album:

[Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=69909]
Graham R - Dalby Qld
Glad you liked the Welsh Highland, it's been my favourite British railway for more than a decade now. I reckon I could listen to those whistles all day long. Love the clips :-)
Nickel Plate High Speed Service