West News
Test train ran to Butler today, I believe this is the first.
Also, set 99 should be in service this week, set 100 hasn't been spotted yet.
Tell us about the airport line proposal GC. Is this going to actually be a thing?
[Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=61026]

(11-Aug-2014, 12:33 PM)Mick Wrote: Tell us about the airport line proposal GC. Is this going to actually be a thing?

There's an old saying in the railways Mick. "When I open the doors on the platform and let passengers on, then I'll believe it might be happening soon."

Long answer:
There are three routes available.
First is to use majority existing infrastructure. It's the long way around, and uses mainly freight lines. Don't see that ever been a real option, but it is the cheapest option.
Second is the plan proposed by Labor at the last State election. They went into the election with a Public Transport platform, and lost. Their route is similar to the one proposed, with some tinkering to allow it to work in with a much larger network here. While it is the better of the options for the long term (making Perth a city with a huge focus on public transport), it's hard to build stuff when in opposition.
Third option is the router chosen. There has been cost blow outs already (of course) before a shovel has seen the ground. The government seems to be going the gold plated option and the route will include longest underground section on the network. There is talk that this option is so the line can be automated, with services running from Bayswater to the Airport only.

Currently the rail projects in Perth are the Butler extention (line testing has begun) and the track quadrification and stabling for the new Burswood Arena. Earthworks has begun on that project, and it's due for completion by 2018.
There is also some stations promised before the next election (they have put signs up), but that's it. The airport link hasn't got funding, hasn't been approved, hasn't had all the bells and whistles massaged, so at the moment it's just pie in the sky. I'd expect that there will be another announcement of the project, just in time for the next state election, but I certainly don't see anything happening in the next few years.
Set 100 has been seen out and about testing.

Last night approx 10pm, due to bad weather, a ship broke it's mooring, and had collided with the Freo rail bridge. An overhead mast has broken, bringing down the overhead. No other information is currently at hand.
Driver training for the Butler extension has begun. The line opens to the pubic Sunday, September 21.
Apparently some time in the next week or so, trains will arrive at Clarkson, dump all passengers, then run empty to Butler, as per the timetable. This is being done to finalise driver training, before the official line opening.
Butler extention opened yesterday. Fairly low key day, might have been the massive storm that kept things low key.

Rumours of new "C" series trains in the pipeworks. Apparently it's getting near on impossible to get spare parts for the A series.
If one can not get parts for the "A"s" it may be time to give them a upgrade, who made them and how old are they?
[Image: bike-1.gif]
A series were built by EDI Downer in Maryborough Qld and are similar to QR's 200/220 series.
Graham R - Dalby Qld
Any opinions expressed here are my own and not those of any group or organisation I am associated with.
Member Southern Downs Steam Railway | ARHS Qld
With the falling Aussie dollar, hopefully EDI-Downer Maryborough can win the next order. I hope that big Brisbane order being built in Spain was paid for in advance...
Nickel Plate High Speed Service
(23-Sep-2014, 08:52 AM)Sulla Wrote: I hope that big Brisbane order being built in Spain was paid for in advance...

I'd say that would be unlikely! Smile
Graham R - Dalby Qld
Any opinions expressed here are my own and not those of any group or organisation I am associated with.
Member Southern Downs Steam Railway | ARHS Qld