Altona V/Line v Metro
Reports of a V/Line train coming to rest somewhere forward of the rear of a metro train.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-22/ni...de/5691260

A high speed area of track (115km/h for sparks, from memory, maybe higher for V/Line), so lucky there wasn't more injuries.
This is indeed a bit of bad news. No doubt the armchair investigators will be out in force on other pages.

However, when thinking about this, there really seems to only be two or three likely scenarios that could lead to such an incident, methinks?
"You have enemies? Good! That means that you have stood up for something you believe in, at some time in your life....."
Looks like the V/Line was an empty, both driver and conductor in the driver's cab. It will be interesting to see the results of the investigation.
The following is from the ABC website

Nine people have been injured in a collision between two trains at Altona in Melbourne's west.

Police said an eastbound passenger train was stopped near the level crossing at Maidstone Street when a Geelong train, also travelling east, collided with the rear of the stationary train at around 7:00pm (AEST) on Friday.

Seven people from the passenger train and the driver and conductor from the Geelong train all suffered minor injuries.

Four of them were taken to hospital with back pain and whiplash.

It it believed there was about 60 passengers on the suburban train and only the two staff members on the Geelong train.

Passenger Bradley Shackleton said the scene was chaotic.

"As soon as the train hit us the lights went out and then the seats just went flying everywhere, people went flying everywhere," he said.

"Everyone's just screaming. It was chaotic, so I got up to make sure everyone was okay.

"One of the girls was having a panic attack and there was another old guy who had fallen over and got a blood nose."

Daniel Duddock said it was fortunate more people were not injured.

"I jolted backwards, jolted forwards, got thrown, seats went flying, lights come out," he said.

Bill Lyons was thrown from side-to-side in the crash.

"The driver, his bolt flew off his door, landed at my feet, and he's got a badly bruised back," he said.

Mark Wild, the chief executive officer of Public Transport Victoria, said an investigation is underway.

"I'd just like to stress, safety's our number one priority and we're really pleased there were no serious injuries," he said.

"We'll do a full investigation to get to the bottom of what's happened."
From various news reports

Passer-by Tim Maloney said there appeared to be minimal damage to both trains.

http://www.news.com.au/national/victoria...7033753593

Metro says they can route trains around the crash, meaning services are not impacted.

However, V/Line is running trains to Werribee and buses the rest of the way to Melbourne.

http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking...7034081750
Anyone know the rules with the block signals on that line? Are they absolute or are trains permitted to stop and proceed past a red at reduced speed prepared to stop?
Nickel Plate High Speed Service
It is hard to say for sure, but my guess it that it was just before a junction.

If my educated guess is true then the following would be so,
++My guess is that the Comeng was stopped at that junction.
++The junction is the up end of the Altona loop, and comes in from the right.
++Trains coming off the Altona loop would join with the Comeng train in this direction.

Being a junction it would be a required stop. I guess that the Comeng may have been delayed by a late arriving train from the loop. The one signal or two back would have been block signals. A train can continu past under strict conditions. As it was a low speed impact, that may have been what happened??

I remember at least in the recent past, the 7 car train does a 'flagship almost nonstop' run from Southern Cross to just past Geelong. Non stop I think North Melbourne to North Shore. That same set then does an empty return back to SX, then does the second of two such runs.
The irony with this crash is, the RRL. Or Regional Rail Link, and when complete this accident would not have happened as the V/Line train would then have its own tracks for its travel into the city.

100% of all tracks are up and in operating condition, including the final section that would result in the diversion of this train.

But, the signals are not yet approved 'over that section' just yet. The only trains which are not yet able to use this section are the Geelong line trains.

Once those signals are cleared, we may have been able to divert trains via the RRL until the accident site is clear.
(24-Aug-2014, 12:47 PM)JimOnTrack Wrote: It is hard to say for sure, but my guess it that it was just before a junction.

If my educated guess is true then the following would be so,
++My guess is that the Comeng was stopped at that junction.
++The junction is the up end of the Altona loop, and comes in from the right.
++Trains coming off the Altona loop would join with the Comeng train in this direction.

Being a junction it would be a required stop. I guess that the Comeng may have been delayed by a late arriving train from the loop. The one signal or two back would have been block signals. A train can continu past under strict conditions. As it was a low speed impact, that may have been what happened??

I remember at least in the recent past, the 7 car train does a 'flagship almost nonstop' run from Southern Cross to just past Geelong. Non stop I think North Melbourne to North Shore. That same set then does an empty return back to SX, then does the second of two such runs.

The trains were at Maidstone St. The next signal after Maidstone Street is at Kororoit Creek Rd. There is automatic signals at both these locations. The previous signal at Laverton is an automatic signal (from memory), the first after the Laverton block station. The Altona Junction is not at this location, nor is there any regular reason for a train to be stopped at this location.
It it was due to a problem with Altona Junction, then there would have been at least three trains ahead of the one that was hit, that were also being delayed.

The V/Line train could have been in the section occupied by the Metro service, as long as it followed Rule 3.1. Part of this rule is the ability to stop in half the distance you can see, and to not exceed 30km/h.

The only logical reasons for the Comeng to be stopped where it was are:
Signal passed at danger (for one reason or another) which tripped the train, causing it to be stopped at the location.
Loss of overhead power, or fault with the train.
Driver having braked for an emergency, most likely to do with someone or thing on the level crossing.

There are other reasons a train would stop, that are not timetabled, but not really a reason in that area, with no houses anywhere near there.