Cattle Train Promise
An interesting (and long) article in the Queensland Country Life.

Read the article...

It would seem that there is a bit of movement at the station. (Pun intended) Smile
Graham R - Dalby Qld
Any opinions expressed here are my own and not those of any group or organisation I am associated with.
Member Southern Downs Steam Railway | ARHS Qld
Interesting report on the ABC news last night detailing the meatworks at Oakey and their expansion plans, including a call for QR to upgrade their spur and sidings to rail in their cattle. According to the report there are "other sites" at which similar work could also be carried out.

I get the feeling there's a bit of a push on atm to get stock back on the rails. The declaration from Aurizon in the above article is promising, and likely motivated by the upcoming expiration of the stock haulage contract.

If another player does want to start in Qld (and let's not forget it's a tough job getting the light axle load locos and wagons from anywhere, as well as managing the huge distances and high track access costs through the mineral routes), this favourable showing from the beef industry might help them with a leg up to get into the game.
More required than just a few sleepers in a siding, unfortunately. Changing standards means the Oakey unloading point would not comply with current standards. Whatever they are.

Meanwhile, heres a flashback:

http://www.queenslandcountrylife.com.au/...88727.aspx
(20-May-2015, 04:52 PM)locojoe67 Wrote: More required than just a few sleepers in a siding, unfortunately. Changing standards means the Oakey unloading point would not comply with current standards. Whatever they are.

Meanwhile, heres a flashback:

http://www.queenslandcountrylife.com.au/...88727.aspx

The whole thing is run piecemeal by the govt and QR/Aurizon and I think govt needs to step up and make a 15-20 year commitment with the industry (ie they need to follow as well). You need 15-20 years to get justify rail infrastructure upgrades.

Govt - source a suitable fleet of cattle wagons that matches the industry expectations (within reason) including paths where needed in congested areas.

Govt - Go out for 10 years contract for hook and pull with agreed performance requirements. ie 99% of scheduled trains will run within 24hr of the scheduled time weather permitting

Industry - Commit to supply (weather permitting) Accept that boom/bust years rail is not a taxi service that can ramp up and down at whim.

Industry - Using the current rail network, identify/build/upgrade sites large/efficent rake loading yards and do the work.
[Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_it...alNumber=1]

[Image: bike-1.gif]
Work is progressing on the unloading requirements on the new Oakey meatworks siding in readiness for the big day which is scheduled for Wednesday, 30th November. The flashing lights have been removed and replaced by give way signs on the old highway. The old signal down near the southern ramp has also been pulled out because it was in the way of a walkway (or whatever) right along the line.
[Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=67417]
[Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_it...alNumber=1][Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_it...alNumber=1]
I note that the new "siding" almost reaches the Warrego Hwy (Oakey bypass).
Graham R - Dalby Qld
Any opinions expressed here are my own and not those of any group or organisation I am associated with.
Member Southern Downs Steam Railway | ARHS Qld
The big event has come and gone and we watched the whole thing from arrival to departure.
Three locos ( 1730, 1733 & 2387) pulled 40 cattle wagons in from Quilpie down to the Oakey  Yards where the front 2 locos were left on the loop and 2 other locos (2480 & 24??) hitched onto the back end of the cattle wagons to pull them into the new Boolee siding at the meatworks with 2387 still on the back end. After the 880 cattle were unloaded, 2387 returned to the railway yards without the leading locos. 500 of the meatworkers downed tools & marched across the paddock to watch the unveiling of the plaque but returned to work before the train came back from downtown to begin unloading.
[Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=67417]