Cattle Train Promise
(30-Nov-2016, 03:33 PM)Maxn99 Wrote: The big event has come and gone and we watched the whole thing from arrival to departure.
Three locos ( 1730, 1733 & 2387) pulled 40 cattle wagons in from Quilpie down to the Oakey  Yards where the front 2 locos were left on the loop and 2 other locos (2480 & 24??) hitched onto the back end of the cattle wagons to pull them into the new Boolee siding at the meatworks with 2387 still on the back end. After the 880 cattle were unloaded, 2387 returned to the railway yards without the leading locos. 500 of the meatworkers downed tools & marched across the paddock to watch the unveiling of the plaque but returned to work before the train came back from downtown to begin unloading.

Shandes of coal train deliveries from the west to Swanbank where two locos hop onto the rear at Bundamba to haul to Swanbank.

The big question is would it have been easier on the cattle themselves and quicker to leave them on the trucks that left the farms and take them straight through to the meatworks. That would have saved them the unloading from truck then reloading to train then unloading from train. I know ithe train meant less trucks on the road.
Obsolete Australian railway historical downloadable document list
(30-Nov-2016, 03:33 PM)Maxn99 Wrote: The big event has come and gone and we watched the whole thing from arrival to departure.
Three locos ( 1730, 1733 & 2387) pulled 40 cattle wagons in from Quilpie down to the Oakey  Yards where the front 2 locos were left on the loop and 2 other locos (2480 & 24??) hitched onto the back end of the cattle wagons to pull them into the new Boolee siding at the meatworks with 2387 still on the back end. After the 880 cattle were unloaded, 2387 returned to the railway yards without the leading locos. 500 of the meatworkers downed tools & marched across the paddock to watch the unveiling of the plaque but returned to work before the train came back from downtown to begin unloading.

nice summary.

ABC news article of event
(30-Nov-2016, 03:33 PM)Maxn99 Wrote: Three locos ( 1730, 1733 & 2387) pulled 40 cattle wagons in from Quilpie down to the Oakey  Yards

Can 90 tonners go to Quilpie these days?
Graham R - Dalby Qld
Any opinions expressed here are my own and not those of any group or organisation I am associated with.
Member Southern Downs Steam Railway | ARHS Qld
[Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_it...alNumber=1]
[Image: bike-1.gif]
Apparently the beasts find going by train less stressful than road. They arrive in better condition with fewer bruises, and less stressed. I'm told this influences the final meat quality.
incredible that it takes up to 5 separate locos to make this move happen.
(04-Dec-2016, 08:00 AM)bear Wrote: incredible that it takes up to 5 separate locos to make this move happen.

Watch this space!
Graham R - Dalby Qld
Any opinions expressed here are my own and not those of any group or organisation I am associated with.
Member Southern Downs Steam Railway | ARHS Qld
"Can 90 tonners go to Quilpie these days?"

The Angellala bridge was strengthened for them to get to Charleville in 1994. But it's 1720 Territory to Quilpie.
(14-Dec-2016, 08:18 PM)locojoe67 Wrote: "Can 90 tonners go to Quilpie these days?"

The Angellala bridge was strengthened for them to get to Charleville in 1994. But it's 1720 Territory to Quilpie.

[Image: bike-1.gif]
[Image: tumblr_nlarni8Joj1tjwaw3o1_540.jpg]

http://thewestlander.tumblr.com/post/113...-toowoomba

i.e. 1720 territory from Charleville west to Quilpie . . .