SDSR News
(11-Aug-2014, 01:21 PM)Hugh1620 Wrote: I am only 18 myself oily rag. But I have bad experience with steam locos and maintainece. I signed up at MVHR so and I am at the Archer Park rail museum. Ps I am looking forward to getting dirty on 253. I will probably see you in the future because you are at MVHR to ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We will be needing people to work on 967 first!
I just got off the phone with Hilly and yes 967 sounds fun to work on. I look forward to helping out on any projects I can.
Volunteer at The Valley Rattler, Southern Downs Steam Railway and Queensland Rail Heritage
(11-Aug-2014, 04:45 PM)Hugh1620 Wrote: I just got off the phone with Hilly and yes 967 sounds fun to work on. I look forward to helping out on any projects I can.

That's the spirit, by being a shed rat, one learns tonnage
The last wee bit I did on 967 was with Greg Flack and we did some thickness tests on the barrel. I am doing 3D CAD drawings of 253 as delivered in 1920 for my next 5" loco when I finish the current JJ 060.

This is a SDSR thread, best it is not hijacked, however it is important for all groups to encourage the next wave of young preservation and operational members. It is fun to pass on knowledge and share the joy of a working railway.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Cheers :beer4 Dazza
“Everyone who’s ever taken a shower has an idea. It’s the person who gets out of the shower, dries off and does something about it who makes a difference”
Nolan Bushnell

Member: ARHSQD, Rosewood Railway, SDSR, MVHR

http://www.thechronicle.com.au/news/Stea...k/2348282/

Steam train back on track by the end of the week

[Image: WDN_12-08-2014_ROP_03_WAR110814SteamTrai...6_t460.jpg]
SOLUTION FOUND: Southern Downs Steam Railway fitter John Brady and David Laker inspect the steam locomotive, as preparations are underway to have the train back on track by the end of the week. INSET: A fault in the casting on the bottom of the regulator valve has been identified as the cause of the steam leak.

STEAM railway volunteers are confident their locomotive could be back on track by the end of the week, after locating the cause of a dangerous steam leak.

Southern Downs Steam Railway fitter John Brady worked hard with volunteers last week to locate the source of the problem, which caused the cancellation of a trip to Wallangarra two weeks ago.

"We located the source of the leak in the bottom of the regulator valve," he said.

"We were able to locate a compatible piece in Ipswich."

It is believed a fault in the casting caused the leak, which had an effect on the ability of train drivers to control the locomotive.

"They're currently working on it at a local workshop," Mr Brady said.

"When it's ready to put in it will be fitted."

The operation to get the repair completed is a one man job, with only one person able to fit in the hole to work on fitting the replacement part.

"If it all works out we're hoping to steam up by the end of the week," Mr Brady said.

However, despite the train's return to the track being imminent, volunteers still have concerns at the lack of back-up in the instance of potential future break downs.

Steam railway treasurer Adam Cole said the group were exploring all avenues to help them find a back-up locomotive.

"We have no guaranteed back-up," he said.

"There's no guarantee there won't be another breakdown."

The group have been meeting with patron Lawrence Springborg to discuss the possibility of locating a back-up diesel locomotive.

Southern Downs Steam Railway are aiming to start their tours with a trip to Clifton later in the month.
Paul<br /><br /> My WOS Gallery<br /><br /> My Youtube Video Page
I am going to put my foot right in it and ask, do they really need to be wearing safety vest while working on the loco? I know it is likey that the photo is a "set up" just for the paper story. Just asking.
[Image: bike-1.gif]
(13-Aug-2014, 06:28 PM)Coyote Wrote: I am going to put my foot right in it and ask, do they really need to be wearing safety vest while working on the loco? I know it is likey that the photo is a "set up" just for the paper story. Just asking.

You are not allowed in the precinct without a high vis vest...
Graham R - Dalby Qld
Any opinions expressed here are my own and not those of any group or organisation I am associated with.
Member Southern Downs Steam Railway | ARHS Qld
Sounds ridiculous having to wear hi viz in all locations. Never mind.

But bloody great news that parts have been sourced and underway again. I just hope SDSR continues to pursue plan B diesel or steam traction in the interim so that next time an unexpected drama pops up, theyll be able to carry on regardless Smile
"You have enemies? Good! That means that you have stood up for something you believe in, at some time in your life....."
http://www.warwickdailynews.com.au/news/...y/2357283/

Southern Downs Steam Railway set to return this Sunday

20th Aug 2014 6:00 AM

[Image: WDN_20-08-2014_ROP_05_WAR190814SteamRail...__t460.jpg]

ALL ABOARD: Southern Downs Steam Railway volunteer Peter Tobin and secretary Bob Amos are looking forward to getting their steam locomotive back on track with a trip to Clifton on Sunday.

THERE will be happy faces and sighs of relief on Sunday when the Southern Downs Steam Railway's locomotive billows back into life.

The newly repaired steam locomotive will fire up for a trip to Clifton, just three weeks after a dangerous steam leak forced it off the tracks.

Southern Downs Steam Railway secretary Bob Amos said repairs to the steam leak and the installation of a new part had been successful.

"We took the loco up and down the track on Friday afternoon," he said.

"Everything checked out with our fitter John Brady - it's a huge relief."

An outpouring of public support has been received by the volunteers at the helm of the railway group in response to their latest breakdown.

"We were very disappointed when it broke down," Mr Amos said.

"We've had a lot of support from the public - we're very happy."

As they look towards a more optimistic future, the Southern Downs Steam Railway volunteers said they were all set to get back to their tours.

"We are really optimistic we'll be able to meet the program for the rest of the year," Mr Amos said.

"Hopefully we're right into the future."

There are a number of people to thank for the quick response and effective repairs to the loco, according to Mr Amos.

"Gary Smith from GJ Engineering was able to do some work on the replacement part at very short notice," Mr Amos said.

"His help is very much appreciated - he's been very good to us."

The whistle of the train and the pouring of smoke will billow around the platform of the Warwick Train Station from 9am on Sunday, with the train to depart for Clifton at 10am.

Plenty of seats are still available on the trip, with bookings available by phoning Peter Tobin on 4661 3530 or 0418 753 349.

TAKE A TRIP

 Clifton

When: Sunday, 10am-3pm

Cost (return): adult $40, concession $30 and family $120

 Wallangarra

When: Sunday, September 14, 8am-5.30pm

Cost (return): adult $95, concession $85, family $285

 Stanthorpe

When: Sunday, September 14, 8am-5.30pm

Cost (return): adult $135, concession $125

 Toowoomba

When: Saturday, September 27, 8am-6pm

Cost (return): adult $95, concession $85, family $285
Paul<br /><br /> My WOS Gallery<br /><br /> My Youtube Video Page
Good to hear the repairs went well.

Looks as though the cross with rm1901 will be at Clifton with the railmotor continuing on to Greenmount for lunch.
Video evidence here:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N7W3giEs6Lc